Tikka 300 WSM what would you do?

Nuclear Worker

Okay guys here's my dilemma. The wife wants to get me something for my birthday for this gun. Now I don't shoot long distance or any kind of competition. It is my Elk rifle. I live in Wisconsin so don't get to do that much western hunting. I shoot factory Nosler AccuBond 180. Has a Trijicon 5x20 on it. Should I get a new Bartlein barrel a different trigger a stock or scope? I have shot Elk out 508 yards and steel at 900. So yes I am happy with the way the gun shoots. What do you think would be the best improvement or do I save the money for better spotter or towards another hunt?

I would put funds on a spotter or another hunt. Would be hesitant about changing anything on a rifle shooting well. The results maynot be as expected.
Thanks kind of my thoughts also. Now don't get me wrong it does not shoot bug holes. But that is probably more me than the gun.Its shoots really well as a hunting rifle.

I don't know what kind of gear you have, but maybe let the rifle be as is if you're happy with how it shoots. I would think a new stock like a McMillan or something wouldn't hurt accuracy. But if it we me I'd look at getting something to help on the hunts that you do regularly to help you enjoy that Tikka.

I don't know what kind of gear you have, but maybe let the rifle be as is if you're happy with how it shoots. I would think a new stock like a McMillan or something wouldn't hurt accuracy. But if it we me I'd look at getting something to help on the hunts that you do regularly to help you enjoy that Tikka.
Thanks I am new to all this and reading what all you guys shoot. Makes me want not really need all those things. You know wants and needs. Mans downfall

I agree with the others, sounds like you have a good setup and you're happy with it.
To me hunting/shooting gear is money towards a hunt and can enhance the experience if it makes you have more success. Do you have a range finder? A spotter is nice to have but I think a good pair of binos goes a long ways and (for me) has more utility.
And don't kid yourself, if you are shooting steel at 900 and animals at 500+ then you are a long range shooter...welcome to the club!

I agree with the others, sounds like you have a good setup and you're happy with it.
To me hunting/shooting gear is money towards a hunt and can enhance the experience if it makes you have more success. Do you have a range finder? A spotter is nice to have but I think a good pair of binos goes a long ways and (for me) has more utility.
Thanks yes I have vortex Binos and spotter. Just wanted to shoot groups like everyone talks about. Like I said I can shoot consistently a 3-4 inch group out to 500 yards. Which for hunting I think is fine and that is not on a bench but off sticks back pack or whatever is around. I know that is not even close to what a lot of people talk about here. But I believe most of that shooting is off bench. I don't practice that way. Just thought maybe something would help me enough to make it worth it.

Brother if you are consistently shooting 3-4" groups @ 500 yards from field positions and field expedient gear then you are already ahead of the curve! I don't like a bench either as I will never have one in the field. I feel I can shoot just as well from the prone w/bipod so I do most of my load development and drop data that way, but once that is confirmed I will spend more time working on me and shoot as you do.

And don't kid yourself, if you are shooting steel at 900 and animals at 500+ then you are a long range shooter...welcome to the club!
Thanks I guess I read all these post about people shooting 1/2 moa groups and such at long range. I think man I can only shoot 3-4 inch group. But yes I am a hunter so I should be happy. Just was wondering if I change anything what would you all change first?

One thing that folks do with the Tikkas in the 300 WSM is set it up so the 300 WSM can better handle long heavy for caliber bullets like the Berger 210 VLD or 215 Berger.

The 300 WSM has a short throat and being a short fat case, on a short action, doesn't handle 200 plus weight bullet as well as it could. All Tikka actions are basically long actions. You could have a smith remove the bolt stop in the action and install a Bartlein barrel with a faster twist and throated for the heavier bullets. This would extend the effective range of the rifle and might improve performance some on elk with the heavier bullets. To take advantage of all of this would require reloading too.

Problem is, all of this could be done and the rifle might not shoot as well as it does now. That does happen... This is why most are saying "if its not broke, don't fix it. So sometimes it is better to do this to a rifle that is starting to loose its accuracy or something.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.