Tikka 270 wsm...yes or no?????

Maq Attaq

I have decided that my next caliber will be the 270 wsm. I have been looking at this caliber for a while and love the ballistics on it. After researching some of the different options including some semi custom set ups, I am 99.99999% set on the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless...1:10T with a 24 3/8 barrel. I have this set up in my 300wsm except it's the MT version with a 20" barrel. The action is smooth and the trigger pull is sweet....

So I am employing reverse psycology....can some one convince me NOT to go with this rig?????????

I absolutely love that cartridge! I have one in Remington model 7. Its got a short barrel I believe its only 22" but man can it shoot! So much so that I convinced my friend to buy one, matter of fact his is a Tikka T3 lite also. Only problem is its waiting on a scope so he hasn't shot it yet. But judging by my Remington, the Tikka with a match grade barrel will be a tack driver! :D

I do not believe you will do wrong by getting the Tikka AND in 270 WSM. I have a buddy who has a 325 in the Tikka and he loves it. Partly because I load such a great bullet for him and they are very accurate! I'm impressed with it, the Tikka that is.

GET IT

The 270wsm is an awsome round. We have 3 and they are all tack drivers. I shoot a Win M70 Coyote, my wife shoots a Win M70 Coyote, my son shoots a Rem 700 CDL Boon and Crocket, and now my Mom wants one! Shes 60 and I keep telling her she needs to get something smaller but she has killed a nice buck with mine and a doe with a Ruger 270wsm that belongs to my cousin so she wont have it any other way. Cant comment on the Tikka but form what Ive read Im sure it is a nice rig and may look at one for my Mom. Good Luck with youre choice and take care.

So far so good!!!!

KyScott- which Ruger do you have in 270 WSM??? My BIL is a Ruger fan and he couldn't find where Ruger has this caliber...he is looking into buying a Ruger and getting a custom barrel and using the stock, trigger and action

Ruger quit making the WSM's a number of years ago. You may be able to find a used gun, but not a new one. I bought a Ruger Mark II in 300 WSM a few years ago and it is a fine hunting gun. I carried it on my last elk hunt in 2009.

No argument from me. Took this guy a few weeks ago with a T3 in 270WSM.

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 306
You asked for the negatives, so I'll start with them:

1) Aftermarket stuff is nonexistent for the Tikkas & factory parts are absurdly expensive. If you ever want to change a bolt or replace a magazine, you will pay dearly. Good luck even finding an aftermarket stock to fit!

2) They are "the cheap Sako" created when Benelli bought Sako and ordered Sako to produce something priced for the American market. They are good, but not nearly as good as a Sako 75 or 85.

3) The Tikkas are often bought because of how light they are but that lightness makes them harder to shoot accurately & guarantees the recoil will hurt.

4) The .270 WSM is a true magnum and is too much gun for most deer hunting where shots are apt to be well under 100 yards. This cartridge has virtually identical power as the 7 MM Rem magnum, so if the 7 MM is too big for your hunt, so is the .270 WSM.

A Savage with the Accutrigger & Accustock will probably outshoot the Tikka for around the same price. (You should check these out before you buy.)

The .270 WSM is a great cartridge for long-distance deer & caribou as well as an acceptable cartridge for elk. Ballistically it gains you nothing over the 7 MM Rem magnum, but it's not any worse than the 7 mag either. It also feeds through a medium action and is easy to reload.

The .270 WSM is clearly too much cartridge for "up close & personal" whitetail hunting and is barely adequate for elk, but it will do either job. Most people would be better served with a .260 Rem or .25-06 for deer and a .300 or .340 Weatherby for elk.

The Tikka T3 is one of the best deals out there for an inexpensive cary rifle that shoots well. Most Tikkas shoot much better than most Remington 700s (and I have owned both so this isn't owner's bias). It's a good value, and you will never have to feel embarrassed about the rifle you hunt with.

So there are the negatives, along with a few positives. Buy what makes YOU happy.

So far so good!!!!

KyScott- which Ruger do you have in 270 WSM??? My BIL is a Ruger fan and he couldn't find where Ruger has this caliber...he is looking into buying a Ruger and getting a custom barrel and using the stock, trigger and action

The Ruger is my cousins don't know what the model is but it's black synthetic and stainless. Light but supprisingly pleasant to shoot and is very accurate. You might check out Remington and Winchester as well. Take care.

This is going to be my next project this spring. A 270 wsm with 165 matrix bullet with a bc of .650 traveling 3000 fps is more than adequate for any big game in north america. There is no need for a grand ol huge big bore. The 165's are easy to load for and retain more energy that the 7mm shooting the 168 berger. No brainer in my mind.

Darrin

The Tikka is a very nice rifle for the money, the detractors are listed above, but they shoot very well and are very light. Recoil comes with the weight but I never saw a gun that would shoot well and was "hard to shoot well". If you are concerned with recoil then stay over 8lbs, under 60 grains of powder, and at or below 150 grains of bullet. If a guy can shoot a .243 to it's full potential in accuracy he can most likely do the same with a big magnum. he may flinch less with a small caliber but if you flinch you flinch regardless of the cartridge. For those that disagree, feel free to post your comments, I won't argue back. I am just saying that if one flinches with a magnum then he has recoil at the forefront of his mind, ahead of a steady hold and a smooth trigger pull. Concentrate on your hold, your sight picture, and your trigger, recoil is just an after effect. If the recoil is too rough, install a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.