Tikka 25/06

Goose71

Can anybody give me they're Thought on a 25-06 with 22in barrel. In true hunting situations for me in pa are 350-400 yards max. If u have this firearm give me a short review if u got time. Thx. Bruce

I don't have one of those rifles but I have used the 25-06 for over 30 years. I did crop damage control for 15 years and have killed a few hundred deer with the 25-06. The 22" barrel will hurt it some in the velocity but there have been many a deer bite the dust at those ranges from the old 257 Roberts. I personally prefer a 26" barrel. One thing I will add is that as for deer the 25-06 is one heck of a bang flop killer especially when you use 115 to 120 gr bullets. I have used many makers bullets and it is just hard to beat the 117 Sierra as a deer killer. It might not be the glamor bullet of the week but it just works. The rifle I have now with a 26" Shilen barrel prefers the Pro hunter over the Game King at to bug hole accuracy. With the 22" barrel you will get a bit more muzzle blast. With the 22" barrel you might want to give one of the 4350s powders a try first. 49 grs of IMR or AA 4350, they shoot the same for me, with the 117 Sierra PH, Rem. case, CCI 250 mag primer really shoots in my rifle and I have killed deer out to a touch over 500 yards with no problem. 99% of the time they drop in their tracks.

I have owned Ruger 77 for over thirty years. I originally purchased the rifle as a combination backup varmint rifle and an alternative to my 30-06 to hunt the small deer in southern California. I have since used it on mule deer in Nevada and whitetail in Kansas. You do your part and the bullet/rifle will absolutely take care of the rest.
Like others have posted, my rifle will shoot under half inch all day long. The longest shot with this rifle was 410 yards and the deer fell in its tracks. My bullet of choice has always been a 117/120 grain Sierra. With dee and antelope I have not tried any other bullets. My barrel length is 24" inches and I consistently get between 3000 fps and 3100 fps with a healthy charge of IMR 4831.
I really think this is one of the most underrated calibers not being used on deer, antelope and smaller game. Definitely one of my most favorite cartridges.

Can anybody give me they're Thought on a 25-06 with 22in barrel. In true hunting situations for me in pa are 350-400 yards max. If u have this firearm give me a short review if u got time. Thx. Bruce
I've been shooting it's "ballistic twin" 25-284 about 25 years now. I have always shot 85gr Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 3480-3500 fps. It's 24" 1-10 twist Lilja #4 contour on a Trued Howa SA & shoots under 1/2".
Many animals have fallen to this rifle including, cow elk.
I am currently working up loads on the 92gr Hammers..... as successful as I've been with the Nosler BT's.....I think this will be the REAL medicine.
Like (BUTTERBEAN) said, maybe the MOST under rated cartridge ever.

I've been shooting it's "ballistic twin" 25-284 about 25 years now. I have always shot 85gr Nosler Ballistic Tips @ 3480-3500 fps. It's 24" 1-10 twist Lilja #4 contour on a Trued Howa SA & shoots under 1/2".
Many animals have fallen to this rifle including, cow elk.
I am currently working up loads on the 92gr Hammers..... as successful as I've been with the Nosler BT's.....I think this will be the REAL medicine.
Like (BUTTERBEAN) said, maybe the MOST under rated cartridge ever.
I just put together a 25-06 AI around the 92 gr Hammer Hunter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.