Tikka 243 to 25-06

We can argue cartridges and ballistics based on our own criteria of what the perfect deer cartridge is all day.
The original poster has his own criteria and specifically asked about the 243 and the 25-06.
Again I apologize for anything that I have posted that distracted from the original topic.

243 is a short action/ 25-06 is a long action. But I'm not a Tikka man.
You on the money. 243 is generally a short action and 25/06 is long action. You could probable hop up the 243 by changing to a 243AI case. That should only require a reamer to get that done. Check with a gunsmith to be sure.

I'm not what you would call a "gun guy" but I have a few and have thinking converting my T3 tikka in 243 to a 25-06 with the goal of being able to have a few extra grains and be more of my lightweight deer rifle. Is there anything I should be concerned with or keep an eye out for. Looking for advice on pitfalls from those more knowledgeable more than me.
thanks guys,
MV
25-06 that's all I'll say. I had a tikka 243 would not group. 2" was the best I got out of it at 100 yards. I tryed everything. Sorry

In my humble opinion your best bet to achieve this is to buy a mountain tatical long action bolt stop and one of their GEN 2 long action aluminum magazines. You can also look for a factory long action bolt stop and factory standard long action magazine, then get a tikka prefit barrel in 25-06 and you can do this conversation in an hour. Taking off your old barrel will be your greatest challenge. Good luck!!
I thought one is a short action 243 and one is a long action 25-06 ?

Bullet placement trumps diameter any day.

Ducky, where did the bullet hit? I've seen two from my 270 and a friends 7stw that just stood there "bulls" I was glassing and could see the impact shock wave. It made you think that you might have missed and then you see them kinda arch up in place and their legs tremble and finally buckle and fall. Heart hit and lungs destroyed.

I don't know, that video has just been well circulated. I'm in no way connected to that hunt. I just use it as an example of what happens when you simply put a bullet where it belongs.

I like both cartridges, I just wouldn't take apart a great shooting .243 to build a .25-06. I'd just buy a .25-06, if I wanted one. I'd not hesitate to use either cartridge on the biggest mule deer.

The 25-06 is a great cartridge. I have one, and also a 280 and 280 AI and other calibers. But no 243. The 25-06 is a lightning killer, and for deer no less effective than the 280 AI.
Now, I own a couple of 7mm-08 rifles and that is what most of my deer are shot with. Why? Light weight rifles, plenty of energy out past 500, and I would have no issues elk hunting with it.
Bullets have come a long way, and I push a 150 gr ELDX at 2725 fps. The 25-06 is a lot faster, but at 500 yards it has already dropped under 1000 ft-lbs of energy with the hornady superformance 117gr SST loads, while the 7-08 still carries almost 1400 ft-lbs. I know its all numbers, but they look good, feel good, and work well.

the 25-06 doesnt have much on the 243, but it has more, but the mighty 7-08 has a lot more.

Snt

I had a problem with a 243 a long time ago. Never could get it to close up it groups to under 1.5" or so. I felt it was the rifle rather than the caliber.
I couldn't get mine under 2" at 100 yards. My Savage 243 weather Warrior shoots 1/2 at 100 yards 3 shots. My 220 Swift 1 hole at 100 yards it's a m77 Ruger. It's all in the rifle I think. But I'm not a expert like some people here. No disrespect to anyone.