Tikka 243 to 25-06

socalhunter88

I'm not what you would call a "gun guy" but I have a few and have thinking converting my T3 tikka in 243 to a 25-06 with the goal of being able to have a few extra grains and be more of my lightweight deer rifle. Is there anything I should be concerned with or keep an eye out for. Looking for advice on pitfalls from those more knowledgeable more than me.
thanks guys,
MV

In my humble opinion your best bet to achieve this is to buy a mountain tatical long action bolt stop and one of their GEN 2 long action aluminum magazines. You can also look for a factory long action bolt stop and factory standard long action magazine, then get a tikka prefit barrel in 25-06 and you can do this conversation in an hour. Taking off your old barrel will be your greatest challenge. Good luck!!

In my humble opinion your best bet to achieve this is to buy a mountain tatical long action bolt stop and one of their GEN 2 long action aluminum magazines. You can also look for a factory long action bolt stop and factory standard long action magazine, then get a tikka prefit barrel in 25-06 and you can do this conversation in an hour. Taking off your old barrel will be your greatest challenge. Good luck!!
Thank you, is the replacement action because it's needed or is that a weight item? I thought it would "require" just a barrel swap.

I have killed 2 hogs ( Russian Boars ) my first one weighing in at 355 lbs dropped him like a rock with my .243 at 75 yrds with a 90 gr. remmington soft tip. You can also buy 65 gr for the .243. whick would do great for coyotes. Dont know much about the other guns you have listed.

I'd stick with the 243. It's perfectly suited to kill deer.

The real pit fall is that you'd be better off just selling the 243 and buy a 25-06, if money is a concern.

I would seriously doubt you would notice any difference between a 100gr 243win and a 117gr 25-06.

Take the money you would spend on the swap to buy ammo and practice.

Just my .02, but I personally wouldn't do a 25-06 unless it's just something you personally like or just to have something different.

You could twist it fast and use the Blackjacks or the new Bergers but if your looking for a factory ammo type gun then I would look hard at 6 creed or 6.5 creed. Great factory ammo, lots of 6mm and 6.5 mm bullet choices and Lapua brass if you reload, and prefit barrels are going to be easier to find then a 25-06 prefit.

Ok that's what I was thinking, bolt stop and barrel. Is there other items?
You can pick up a new or used factory barrel for cheap as some people just buy them for the actions, well at least I do. If you purchase an aftermarket prefit barrel then the options open wide. As long as you choose a cartridge that uses a standard bolt face. Personally I made a 25-06 AI shooting the blackjacks @ 3240 FPS. My friend has a 25 CM @ 3400 fps with hammers. My humble opinion would be to research what bullet and cartridge best suits YOUR situation and environment. Good luck!!

Its been my experience that the 243 kills better than the 25/06, does not make sense but that's my experience. 85 sierra game king hp in the 243 and 115 ballistic tip in the 25/06.

I'd stick with the 243. It's perfectly suited to kill deer.

The real pit fall is that you'd be better off just selling the 243 and buy a 25-06, if money is a concern.

I would seriously doubt you would notice any difference between a 100gr 243win and a 117gr 25-06.

Take the money you would spend on the swap to buy ammo and practice.
YUP,. THIS ^^^^
The 100 grain Sierra GK's,.. Hit pretty hard !
The Berger 87 HVLD's and 95 Classic Hunters,.. Kill like Lightning as does, the 95 gr. NBT's !
All should work, / shoot, very well, in the Tikka's 1-10 Twist bbl.
To gain ONLY 17 -20 grains of Bullet weight, your going to Pay,.. Mucho Dinero !