TIGHTEN PRIMER POCKETS, here's how.

tbrice23

First of all, this won't work on extremely over pressured brass! If your primer pockets are getting loose from multiple firings (general wear and tear) this will work.
I have a 4H ( HARDENED ) hex head bolt of the appropriate length wrapped with tape at the cartrige neck area length, and insert it into the case.
Place the bolt and case on top of a 3/4" chrome ball bearing that is cradled in a vice.
Firmly tap the hex head ONCE with a hammer.
Take a measurement.
For large rifle primers, my pockets get fairly loose at about .210". After only 2 or 3 strikes my pockets are at .207".
That's where I stop. You will see a small perfectly concentric ring around the inside diameter of the primer pocket.

I sincerely hope everyone utilizes this technique because even if your brass lasts one or two more firings I hope (maybe) new brass prices will become slightly more affordable.
I've been doing this on some winchester 300wm brass that has had two additional firings with no gas blow by on the case head.
My intent of this post is to help. I work very hard on my brass prep. So an additional firing or two is a blessing.
Again, this won't work on crazy over pressured brass.

Attachments

• 2015-04-02 20.33.47.jpg
    2015-04-02 20.33.47.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 5,046
  • 20150402_203008.jpg
    20150402_203008.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 3,778
Very impressive. Very creative.

I wonder if the RCBS primer pocket swagging die set can be "modified"

Say just use it with a ball bearing in the shell holder. I may turn a ball bearing holder.

Where you at in TN
I work and stay in north Illinois but my HOME and property is Savannah. S.W. TN.
My favorite saying is " you can't beat the hill-rod out of me":cool::cool:

But seriously, if we decrease the demand on new brass it will be better for all of us.

And also, I should have added that I don't lock the ball bearing in the vice but actually cradle it. The vice is opened slightly less than the major outside diameter of the bearing.

Very impressive. Very creative.

I wonder if the RCBS primer pocket swagging die set can be "modified"

Say just use it with a ball bearing in the shell holder. I may turn a ball bearing holder.
I borrowed a friends rcbs swagger to achieve this, and it did not work well.
RW hart sold a settup for tightening PPs sold at Midway but it got bad reviews.

I borrowed a friends rcbs swagger to achieve this, and it did not work well.
RW hart sold a settup for tightening PPs sold at Midway but it got bad reviews.
Well then, if tar heel/roughneck engineering works and fancy pants didn't I'll go with the tar heel (I hope I got all that reference correct:))