Tight Reamer

cuutter

Hello, I have only chambered about a dozen barrels and ran into a situation I haven't run into before. On a SS and a CM barrel the reamer got tight and was hard to pull out. They were 2 different calibers with new reamers. It felt like the chips weren't moving out of the way while reaming and getting between the reamer and the barrel. I have been using the dark heavy cutting oil. Anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
Wayne

How often are you cleaning the reamer and chamber. I've found that my chambers come out cleaner/ smoother if I clean every .030-.040" while reaming the chamber. If you're not cleaning the reamer and chamber at lest every 1/4 -3/8" the reamer will sieze everytime.

How often are you cleaning the reamer and chamber. I've found that my chambers come out cleaner/ smoother if I clean every .030-.040" while reaming the chamber. If you're not cleaning the reamer and chamber at lest every 1/4 -3/8" the reamer will sieze everytime.

+1

The reamer should be removed and cleaned as stated unless you have a high pressure
lube system that will flush as you ream.

If your not having this in the beginning (Sometimes the pilot/bore fit is not good) Then it is probably the cleaning redjument.

The only other thing I can think of is spindle speed and feed pressure on the reamer.

Good luck.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys. I do remove and clean every 0.050". I run the lathe at 90 rpm. Sometimes I will go up to 120 rpm. I feed the reamer appox. 0.005"-0.008" per second. Do you think thats too slow or too fast?
Thanks again for the in put.
Wayne

Thanks guys. I do remove and clean every 0.050". I run the lathe at 90 rpm. Sometimes I will go up to 120 rpm. I feed the reamer appox. 0.005"-0.008" per second. Do you think thats too slow or too fast?
Thanks again for the in put.
Wayne

I like to hold the reamer with a live center and a tap handel so that I can feel the reamer
cutting, and 30 to 40 thousandths is normally max depending on the reamer.

Some reamers load up with .030 feed so I back of and feed .020 to .025.

Most reamer makers say that you can run faster than I do but I dont have a lube system "YET"
and I run 40 to 70 spindle RPM to keep from heating the reamer any. also at these speeds I can feel the instant it loads up and needs to be cleaned.

I know this slows down the chambering job but not by much and my reamers are extremely
sharp after a dozen uses.

Everyone has there way of doing chambers and this is mine.

PS: The smaller the reamer the quicker it will load up because of the depth of the flutes. On the 17 HMRs I can only feed
.010 to .015 without cleaning.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks again JE. It sounds like it's in the way that I am feeding the reamer. I will try feeding less and see what that does for me.

Have a great day
Wayne

I have only had that problem when the bore is tighter a couple inches in and the bushing gets tighter. It may be a good fit at the start because the barrel is a bit belled from lapping and then it gets tighter when you get quite a bit in like with RUM length chambers. I push the bushing up the barrel as far as it will run during the chamber job and make sure it's not going to bind.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.