tight primer pockets

t/c fan 1

I have around 5-600 once shot hornady match brass for my .308 win. The brass is from factory ammo (superformance match) and it looks like they may have crimped the primers in? Priming the brass seems sticky and takes a bit of force. Any one seen this?

The hornady match brass does have a crimped primer pocket I believe, I have had the same experience you are having. Just give a couple of quick turns with a chamfering tool and they should prime just fine.

Let me guess you brass was once "superformance" 178gn loads.Soon after it came out ( superformance ammo ) a lot of guys that tried it had problems from the get go.So Hornady now crimps the primers in on the 178gn,not sure about the 168gn.

Just as said above use your chamfering tool and thing's will be OK.

The brass is really good for I get to pic it up at the range I us.Been loading it with great accuracy with a 175gn SMK and varget.Sometimes I pick up crimped in primers sometimes not.

with 5-600 pcs of brass you want have to buy any soon:D I am on the 4th time with some and it stilll looks great.Stay away from hot loads and anneal the necks after the 4th everytime and you'll be Happy Happy Happy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.