Tight chambering brass

sigsupermatch

Can someone offer any information as to why this case and some others like it are hard to chamber. The brass history is as follows: the first re-size was full length. Next 2 re-sizings were neck only, Fourth re-size was full length and they were annealed.
The case shows no signs of pressure issues. Case walls are not bulging, not showing the tell-tell stretch ring (picture link at bottom.) The case's sticking point is just the very edge of the belt facing the mouth of the case. Wondering if a belted magnum collet die might correct the issue.
Side note: When I did the last FL size I put shims between the Case holder and case head to get as much of the case in the die as possible. I have close to 300 cases and the trouble ones total about 15.
https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=261680&part=1

Last edited:
The reason is this; as you size and fire your brass, it work hardens, even if you only neck size, the shoulder and body are still 'flexing', as this progresses the brass has less and less springback at varying degrees between cases. The die then has trouble sizing some cases as they are harder and the case resists the sizing. To overcome this, try sizing, then rotate the case 90º and repeat a few times, then hover with the ram at full stroke for 20 secs.
Annealing the neck helps, especially when running full pressure loads, because brass also 'flows' throughout the case, which hardens the grain structure over time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

When my .257 needed new brass because none of it would fit,and there wasn't any available at the time, I decided to try resizing all of them a couple times. Solved the problem.

So far, I am down to four that will are still tight in the chamber following the size, rotate and hold method.

I would put those cases aside, when you have fired the rest of your cases, anneal them all at the same time. If you do not know how to anneal your cases, youtube is your friend for this.
You will need to put aside an afternoon for this if you don't have access to an automated machine.

Cheers.
gun)

They were annealed after the third reload. I saw a jig that attached to a drill to hold the case during heating which mad quick work of the job. Thank you for the help.

When you adjusted your FL die to properly resize belted cases (bumping the shoulder .002-.003) to headspace off the shoulder, not the belt, you are no longer resizing the area directly above the belt.

It's one of the unfortunate realities of magnum belted cases.

The only real solution to this that I have seen is a belted magnum collet resizing die (Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment). It works.

-nosualc

Thank you. I have seen the belted magnum collet die and was wondering if someone could confirm it would correct my issue.

It won't correct your issue unless you know what the issue is.

Is it a headspace issue? Or is it a case body diameter issue?

What is the body diameter of your fired brass above the belt where the case is the fattest? What is the diameter of the case after sizing? What is the shoulder length of your fired case? What is the shoulder length after sizing? Do you have a dial caliper? Do you have a .40 cal pistol case? Or a 9mm case? Measure the shoulder length and body diameter and report back.

918v:
I don't believe it is a head space problem because I can size 50 cases in a setting and maybe have one with the issue mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

The case measures as close as I can tell 2.391 to 2.404.

The case measures .5125 -.513 on the tight cases. This measurement was taken at the belt and case junction.

I have many empty cases of both 9mm and 40 cal. ????????

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.