Tight chamber

Get Redding Competition Shellholder Set #1 that will have shellholders that may be just the right reduction to allow the die to work right. Not too mention they will provide perfect shoulder set back for you.

Length is a tad under spec so I didn't trim. Figured it grow a bit after firing. Am going to take a bit off die.
Take a little material from the shell holder it's much cheaper and easier to replace if something goes bad or as I've read in on this forum before try inserting a feeler gauge of a few thousands under the shell in the shell holder

Get Redding Competition Shellholder Set #1 that will have shellholders that may be just the right reduction to allow the die to work right. Not too mention they will provide perfect shoulder set back for you.
The Reading competition shell holders actually allow for less sizing and would make the cartridge longer

In this situation, which I have half a dozen rifles that the chambers are shorter than the dies allow, I doctor a shell holder by turning .010" off the TOP of the shell holder.
This shell holder then stays with that die set, adjust your die like normal until you get .002"-.003" bump and you're done.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Bill Cauley: OOPS! Should have put down that Jim Beam before I responded! I was thinking the shellholder was going the other way! OMG!
It's no biggie I've mentioned it several times over the past couple years to several people I bought a set that's the only reason I know

Yep
Take a little material from the shell holder it's much cheaper and easier to replace if something goes bad or as I've read in on this forum before try inserting a feeler gauge of a few thousands under the shell in the shell holder
yep I tried a feeler gauge but didn't have enough play to shoulder bump. I trimmed the die back a bit and got it to where I can set the shoulder back a tad. But still tight enough that it'll dent the shoulder taper with too much spray resizing lube. Purely non scientific but I never claimed to be too scientific!!🇺🇸

Different shell holder. I trimmed the die mouth back and works great.
atta boy. Too many people overthink things. If it is chambering tight it is obvious the die is not sizing it enough. Most likely minimum chamber and maximum die. In manufacturing they call it tolerance stacking. So make the die a bit shorter. Easy peasy.

Remington 7 predator 22-250.
seems like the chamber is a tad tight. Runs Remington factory stuff good. Resized cases fit tight and leaving a ring on shoulder. Any ideas? The pics are Hornady new brass thru fl RCBS die. I do have a 22-250 reamer and t-handle if a slight touch up would do.

What are your shoulder measurements for fired and sized cases?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.