Tight bore 300 win mag

Bronc1

My gunsmith is just finishing my custom 300 win with a Stiller action. When I ordered Bartlein barrel from Red Hawk I was unaware that it was a tight bore (.299) nor was it advertised on description. The rep from Bartlein, Red Hawk, and my gunsmith advised me that it was fine and just start working up loads a few grains lower than normal. All 3 guys said that more than likely I will hit pressure sooner which makes sense and find more velocity than a standard barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with reloading for a tight bore or other considerations? This rifle was built for big game hunting and I would like to shoot a 180 grain accubond or partition.

My gunsmith is just finishing my custom 300 win with a Stiller action. When I ordered Bartlein barrel from Red Hawk I was unaware that it was a tight bore (.299) nor was it advertised on description. The rep from Bartlein, Red Hawk, and my gunsmith advised me that it was fine and just start working up loads a few grains lower than normal. All 3 guys said that more than likely I will hit pressure sooner which makes sense and find more velocity than a standard barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with reloading for a tight bore or other considerations? This rifle was built for big game hunting and I would like to shoot a 180 grain accubond or partition.
My gun smith said the same thing about my 30 cal bartlein. He said the bore was tight as well. Around .299.
I haven't shot the rifle yet to confirm about hitting pressure early.

I've got a tight bore obermeyer barrel on my 300 remington ultra mag hunting rifle. Dont worry about the tight bore. Start a little lower and work up. If it turns out like my hunting gun it will be a screamer. I shoot 168 gr Sierra tmk @3580fps with my gun with no pressure signs at all with 1/4moa accuracy. (it's a 13 twist right bore 28" long) It was a method used in shooting palma with a 155gr bullet in a 308 at 1000yds to get more velocity.

I wish I didn't, but I do. It was a PacNor in 300 WSM. Over pressure with factory loads. They said is was just fine. I started with the lightest loads listed and didn't get too far from there. Coated bullets helped a little. Bullet choice helped some too. Velocities were higher than they should have been for the charge used.
Long story short, I no longer own the gun. If I had known then what I know now, I may have tried a lapping method I've been using since reading Nathan Foster's book,"Bolt Action Rifle Accurizing & Maintenance". Not sure if this would have fixed the issue, but following Mr. Foster's method sure has helped other rifles I own. Granted, these rifles were not suffering with the same problem, but who knows, maybe worth a try. Best of luck with your Bartlein.

Just load it lighter and run it at normal MV, it will take a few grains less to get the speed where it should be but should shoot good. I had a factory blued sendero in 7 RM that was tight and it would shoot lights out but just lower powder charges to hit the right MV

What you say about the tight barrel being faster may be true but I think it defies logic, I think just by going by the reloading manuals less powder means less FPS. Having more resistance I would think, that in order to gain the same velocities you would have to use more powder. It would seem to me that it would be the same as forgetting to release the emergency brake in a car you have to use more gas to go a certain speed because of the resistance, it would not, can not go faster.

I would like like to know that next decimal place for kicks. If it's 0.2999 would that change the discussion? The how, and who, measured is a factor in what it actually measures. Although I wouldn't be a bit concerned.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.