TIG welding on Remington 700 handle

I have a friend who TIG welds and was going to weld a handle one time. A gunsmith told me know way. He said the bolt is extremely hard steel and heat from TIG welding can destroy the temper making it brittle. He said things could come apart when the gun was fired. Don't know if its true, but I wasn't willing to chance it. Let us know if it works...

I wouldn't recommend tigging it either. But if you want it re-enforced have it pinned. Remmy's custom shop gave me these figures:
400 lbs of force to break a normal soldered handle off.
1200 lbs to break a pinned handle off.

where can i send my bolt to to get this done.. i have a remy that i want a holland tactical handle put on. i know a guy who sweats them on but im not sure if it will take it or not! its a 300win mag 17# 1k gun.
Brien

Don't know about remingtons but it's pretty standard to TIG mauser bolt handles. Heat paste, not letting it get too hot and ?reheat treating.

You can weld the back end of the bolt without any worries about loosing strength at the front where all the punishment is delt out , I've done two of mine and haven't had any problems. All I did was wrap the bolt head with clod wet rags , the heat never traveled any farther that about half way the bolt head was still cool to the touch.
I saw a Rem 700 once at a gun show that had the recoil lug and bolt handle welded on , it appeared to be eith "stick" or mig welded , it was built way up and tried to be gound to look decient , it was awfull , you could still see some slag down in the weld.If they diden't have enough since to weld it right I wonder how hot they got the front of the action and blot head , all I could do was shake my head and laugh

Heli-Arch is the only way to go.

The bolt head on Remingtons are all made of steel and then welded or soldered on to the bolt body, which is of a lesser quality steel. The bolt head is what takes all the punishment, yet the bolt body doesn't need to be strong. One of the cost saving factors used by large corporations. You will notice that even stainless actions have a blackened steel bolt head, and is not made of stainless. They too could use 17-4 SS for bolt heads but its not as cost effective for an item that will not see the elements to corrode.

BTW, bolt heads and the rear bolt retainers are one of the many items machined by outside sources. Ask me how I know.

Ronnie

If your going with an oversize bolt handle check w/ GA Precision. They build Tactical rifles and that seems to be the standard thing to do on them.
I will throw out a warning that there have been several instances where the weight of the oversize handle and some aggressive bolt lifting has sheared the bolt handle completely off the body
shocked.gif
. It happened to one of the comeptitors at the Snipers Hide Challenge this year. You can get the full rundown over on Snipers Hide.

Cheers
cool.gif

I can highly recommend HD Rifles. They do a Rem700 Bolt Mod either with or without a Badger knob upgrade. Chris Jamison pointed me their direction and I had two of them done. Work is excellent One was black, the other silver, in matte finish. Match is perfect.

[ 07-20-2004: Message edited by: PaulE ]

I can highly recommend HD Rifles HD Rifles. They do a Rem700 Bolt Mod either with or without a Badger knob upgrade. Chris Jamison pointed me their direction and I had two of them done. Work is excellent One was black, the other silver, in matte finish. Match is perfect.

I would recommend GA since I work there. For what it's worth, it was the HD style mod that broke at Sniper's Hide Cup. Because of that we are doing it a little different now.
Also, the knob does not add any weight at all- it's aluminum and the steel knob is milled off. You do have a little bit more leverage though.
Bolt handles breaking off are caused by one of two things- a bad factory solder job or hot rodding it a bit two much and beating the bolt open.

[ 07-20-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

i would realy like a holland and one smith i know sweats them on i was just wanting to make sure it stuck good... i like the badger but i just dont want it on this rifle..

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.