Thunderbeast Ultra 5..... Anyone used one?

Well it's a 26" MTU taper. It's a big heavy rig. But I will check them out..
I have been shooting with molded rubber plugs with Walkers over them?
I doesn't seem too loud.

View attachment 115622 View attachment 115623

The goofy thing to me about ear pro is if it's advertised to reduce ambient noise by 30 dB the real protection is that number minus 7 and divided by two. I don't see how that's legal but that's the case. Adding ear muffs over plugs adds 5 dB of protection. If you get a TBAC 7 it takes ~30 dB right off

the 5 just kinda knocks it down. id really really recommend not shooting w/o hearing protection. none of the cans knock it down to a hearing safe level.

the 5 just kinda knocks it down. id really really recommend not shooting w/o hearing protection. none of the cans knock it down to a hearing safe level.
None of what cans are hearing safe? For an impulse noise sub 140 is safe for 1 exposure. Most any suppressor will do that and best it by 5-7 dB.

None of what cans are hearing safe? For an impulse noise sub 140 is safe for 1 exposure. Most any suppressor will do that and best it by 5-7 dB.

Anything over 85dB is harmful. Its not just 1 exposure being knocked down; all of those small damages are cumulative. It may not be something that is immediately apparent but if you shoot regularly that will damage your hearing.

We cant do anything about it, but there is the issue of bone conduction and a slight bit of hearing loss.

This info comes from my audiologist when i went in to get fitted for nitro ears and get my hearing tested.

Anything over 85dB is harmful. Its not just 1 exposure being knocked down; all of those small damages are cumulative. It may not be something that is immediately apparent but if you shoot regularly that will damage your hearing.

We cant do anything about it, but there is the issue of bone conduction and a slight bit of hearing loss.

This info comes from my audiologist when i went in to get fitted for nitro ears and get my hearing tested.

The duration is important to this context.
upload_2019-1-18_18-37-22.png

For what its worth I went thru the same debate for my 6.5 and I decided if I am going to spend the money and time for a can I want the most out of it, that being said I got the thunderbeast ultra 9 6.5 can. Now if it would only get here purchased in july to give you an idea on the wait. Don't drag your feet to much if you are serious about wanting to shoot suppressed the wait time will kill you especially when you spend six months debating.

For what its worth I went thru the same debate for my 6.5 and I decided if I am going to spend the money and time for a can I want the most out of it, that being said I got the thunderbeast ultra 9 6.5 can. Now if it would only get here purchased in july to give you an idea on the wait. Don't drag your feet to much if you are serious about wanting to shoot suppressed the wait time will kill you especially when you spend six months debating.

Yep, I've been waiting since early June on my ultra 7. I was in the shop 2 weeks ago getting a TB 22 takedown can and they said to expect a full 9 months, but that was before the govt shut down, so now I am expecting a wait until April or maybe even May now, who knows...

Luckily I got paperwork in last April and received my stamp December. It's not a hassle at all but the wait is ridiculous just submit it and forget it. I got the ultra seven for my 6.5 saum with a 22" barrel
and I gotta say it's a sweet rig and just plain works. Would I shoot it from the bench or target shooting without hearing protection
well heck no! But I have shot it without plugs and no ringing in my ears so it's perfect for hunting where
You will take one or two shots over the course of a days hunt. I think the 5 would work fine in a hunting
situation but I would recommend the seven.

I use an Ultra 7 on my 16" barreled Ruger GSR for deer hunting (without HP) and it sounds about like a 22. Considering that I might fire three shots at most in a day I think it's safe enough. Never used the 5" version but I'm considering one for my bolt action 300 BLK. With the 7 and subs in the BLK it's quieter than my pellet rifle. Never ceases to amaze me.

POI shift is always .2 mils to the right with the can on the 308.

I own all 3 the ultra 5, 7, and 9. Live my 7. The 9 is good but long. And the 5 seems loud to me and I almost never use it

I tell my customers, just get the 338 LM can from Silencerco. its very light and has tons of room My 7mm is a creampuff with it. 308? what? I can't hear you. Well you get the pic. I own to many cans and now focus on what can will work for the most.

I hunt with a 7mm Rem, Hells canyon, 24 or 26" barrel. I can't remember , my can is 11" long. Its a long rifle but not an issue. I am 6'3"

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 63
My 6.5-06 and 30-06 are both chopped at 18" and the UL7 gets them to 24". Works great. Have a medium palma at 22" and it seems fine but its a chunk and with 28" oal I am not packing it hunting.

Edited to note:
18" 30-06 gets 180 going 2700 fps
18" 6.5-06 looks to be 2900 with 140 vld. Still working on final load.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.