Thunder Valley Precision

ShipAhoy

I shoot at Thunder Valley Precision in Kimbolton, Ohio. Tom Sarver is the owner/operator and he builds precision guns! There are steel target from 200 yards out to a mile. He runs several competitions throughout the year.

12390964_1140586229292660_3583551023061740923_n.jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

http://thundervalleyprecision.com/

Can someone provide some more info on this range. The website doesnt list a ton of info... Is anyone a member (If so, what does membership cost/get you)? On Open Range days, can anyone show up and shoot at the longer distances? Its about a 5.5hr drive from where I live in VA, but seems pretty nice from what the few pics I have seen show.

Can someone provide some more info on this range. The website doesnt list a ton of info... Is anyone a member (If so, what does membership cost/get you)? On Open Range days, can anyone show up and shoot at the longer distances? Its about a 5.5hr drive from where I live in VA, but seems pretty nice from what the few pics I have seen show.

Anyone can shoot on open range at targets out to a mile. New targets are being developed to 2500 yards but not sure when they will be available.

$20.00 for members, $30.00 non-members, membership is $100.00 per year.

Thanks ShipAhoy, that is exactly what I want to hear. My SAC .260 and GAP 6.5 are looking for better place than PeaceMaker Range in WV to hit some steel. I might not make it out to an open range day this year (seems it closes at the end of Oct), but come Spring I am planning to head out there for some trips. Does it get super busy there on Weekend Open Range Days?

The posted schedule ends in Oct but Tom does have open range days throughout the fall and winter. Keep an eye on his FB page for TVP.

Yes Open Range days can be busy but there are 20 benches and room in between to shoot prone. The new pavillion for the ELR targets will have 5 benches.

Thanks ShipAhoy, that is exactly what I want to hear. My SAC .260 and GAP 6.5 are looking for better place than PeaceMaker Range in WV to hit some steel. I might not make it out to an open range day this year (seems it closes at the end of Oct), but come Spring I am planning to head out there for some trips. Does it get super busy there on Weekend Open Range Days?

Last edited:
Tom added some new targets and built up some berms. There are now orange clay pigeons to shoot at in addition to steel on every berm. Hitting a clay pigeon at 1000 yards is pretty cool. I recently took delivery of a TVP rifle in wildcat cartridge 22x47. It shoots a .224 95gr SMK bullet at around 3200fps. It shoots flat with 5.9 mils at 1000 yards.

FB_IMG_1571926258087.jpg

FB_IMG_1571926412173.jpg

Alright let's revive this post. Trying to plan my trip this spring/summer. Best days to go(during the week less crowded)?

What to take? Focus on one caliber? Time and space to take multiple guns? I plan to pay the day and stay open to close(multiple guns?).

Main reason for the trip is soon completion of 300 RUM. 32" barrel shooting 230s, load development and testing to prior to trip. This will have the easiest time getting to a mile. Other contenders for making the trip are 7wsm 180gr SMK at 2945fps trans sonic prior to 1 mile but capable I'm sure. Also.6.5x284 shooting 144gr Berger at 3025 trans sonic also. Notable mentions 260 with 130s at 2900 and 243 with 108 at 2940...

Any advice would be appreciated. I realized its only about 45 mins from sister-in-law's house so not a hug deal if i don't get it all done in one trip but would like to make good use of my time.

Thanks

There should be plenty of room to take multiple guns on an open range day. His hours typically don't run daylight to dark but if you got in contact with Tom, he might be able to work something out with you. It's a beautiful range for sure. I'd try to plan to be there for a day or two during open range days. Or may even hit an open range day before one of his steel plate matches (GM25, Headhunter, Intimidator).. I've only shot the GM25 but intend to try the others some day.