Threat to Missouri Breaks sheep

We hunt the breaks. Have for the last ten years. Just drew a Bull tag for 631. So Should be getting back out there this year. I have a friend that hunts in the 622 district right to the west of 631 Timber creek bay splits the two districts. We always see Big Horns when we are in there. The interesting thing is we have noticed there is not as many as there used to be. And for sure not near as many Big Rams. In fact this last year we did not see one Ram that was legal to be shot. I do not think there are any domestic sheep out there. Just a observation I have made. Along with others I know that hunt that area. I will say this. They have been giving out IMHO to many tags. I have yet to draw a Big Horn tag. Thinking about no trying since its so hard to get. LOL Whats they fun in that right?

Not to mention the elk numbers seem to be going down.. Thats another story...

Both cases I feel is poor management. To many tags given out. But then again that does not mean they get filled.

Congrats on the Bull tag first!! I spend a LOT of time 632 631 622 and yes the big rams were tough to find last year. I believe many die in the hard winter of 2011 (over 100 inches of snow) OK "propaganda" might have been little over exaggerated but I'm sick of FWP and USFW netting our ewes and taking them over to western Montana just to die or become a easy meal for a wolf or other major predator. Rant over lol. The CMR is my back yard and I care deeply for the Bighorn sheep there.

Thanks. I have been trying for years. Those three Are my Favorite districts along the North side of the lake. We get to at least one every year and at times a couple times a year.

As for the sheep even over the last 4 years i have seen a difference. They also are more jumpy then they used to be. I feel its the hunting pressure. At one time I could walk right through a group of them. Now they run if you get to close. Again I feel its more hunting pressure.

I really hope there's no poaching involved. Why are the Bigger Rams not there like they used to be? Maybe its just hunting pressure and they hide more? But as a overall hole there just seems to be less sheep then there used to be 4 years ago.

Congrats on the Bull tag first!! I spend a LOT of time 632 631 622 and yes the big rams were tough to find last year. I believe many die in the hard winter of 2011 (over 100 inches of snow) OK "propaganda" might have been little over exaggerated but I'm sick of FWP and USFW netting our ewes and taking them over to western Montana just to die or become a easy meal for a wolf or other major predator. Rant over lol. The CMR is my back yard and I care deeply for the Bighorn sheep there.
They have transplanted sheep to Wyoming, Nebraska, and several other states. But the sheep in the Breaks were originally transplanted there from Colorado in 1947 (they all died off). And starting in 1958 until 1974 from Sun River in MT and the National Bison Range in MT.
So without transplanting there wouldn't be any sheep in the Breaks or a lot of other places.

My theory is there are more predators. Yes have also observed the sheep are much more spooky than years before. two years ago I watched a 190+ ram get pushed up top on a ridge running from four coyotes (one coyote didn't make it back to his camp that night). I learned that even these big rams (300+ pounds) respect coyotes. Lions are the real Sheep killer. I find lots of there tracks in sheep country ( don't blame them their delicious). Golden Eagles hunt the spring lambs. FWP gives 20 ram tag a year and 50 ewe tags I believe.

They have transplanted sheep to Wyoming, Nebraska, and several other states. But the sheep in the Breaks were originally transplanted there from Colorado in 1947 (they all died off). And starting in 1958 until 1974 from Sun River in MT and the National Bison Range in MT.
So without transplanting there wouldn't be any sheep in the Breaks or a lot of other places.

I realize that sheep where transplanted in the Breaks and that sheep die. I'm just saying that we have a pretty good population of Bighorn sheep here and would like to see it stay that way.

I live in Montana also am concerned about wolves.Usually an elk can out run a coyote but wolves will follow elk until they tire out and try to fight it out with a several wolves.
I can't walk far anymore but I see wolves every year and hear reports about the same thing all over the Elkhorn's.
We were forced fed wolves by people that don't even live in Montana for the most part,some do live here but elk herds are way down compared to 20 years ago.
Pro-Wolf people just want to hear that wolves are still killing animals all over Montana.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts