Thread the ADL or just Rebarrel it

D

Deleted member 103481

So, managed to actually walk into a decent "deal" on Armslist and picked up a pre freedom Remington 700 ADL 30-06 w/ a VX2.

Problem is I'm not interested in Hunting unsupressed anymore so I need to decide if I should thread what I have or just go ahead into the rabbit hole and do a full rebarrel.... and I mean at that point a truing job is almost a given.

Ideas or opinions? I'm assuming I'm gonna have to set the 24" spotter back at least a bit even to thread it 9/16x24, I could maybe get it 1/2x28 as it is. Not really interested in a 16" 30-06 to get to 5/8 thread. Anyone here threaded a 30 cal ADL sporter?

These deal got expensive, they always do.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could run the 300 Sherman reamer in the barrel and get 150-200' more inexpensive performance!

Haha It's an interesting idea... but then I'm even closer in cash to just doing a rebarrel anyway.

How would it perform in day a 20" barrel? Assuming I could get a 9/16 thread on it at that point

If you're interested in something other than .30-06, I would definitely go ahead and have it blueprinted and put a quality barrel on it, have it threaded, and then chamber that new barrel to .300 Sherman. While you got it apart, toss in a Timney or Trigger Tech trigger, and pickup an ADL-to-BDL conversion kit from Brownells and get you a hinged floor plate setup for it, and drop it into a Stocky's Long Range Composite stock.

If you're packing the rifle or want it light for carrying, go with a 26" Proof carbon fiber barrel. If you want it for mostly prone or bench shooting, a 26" Sendero or fluted Sendero Bartlein would be ideal.

That would be a relatively cheap (inexpensive) high-quality custom build, and should be a definite LR tack-driver.

If you're interested in something other than .30-06, I would definitely go ahead and have it blueprinted and put a quality barrel on it, have it threaded, and then chamber that new barrel to .300 Sherman. While you got it apart, toss in a Timney or Trigger Tech trigger, and pickup an ADL-to-BDL conversion kit from Brownells and get you a hinged floor plate setup for it, and drop it into a Stocky's Long Range Composite stock.

If you're packing the rifle or want it light for carrying, go with a 26" Proof carbon fiber barrel. If you want it for mostly prone or bench shooting, a 26" Sendero or fluted Sendero Bartlein would be ideal.

That would be a cheap custom build, and should be a definite LR tack-driver.

The goal for this is just a flat out generic hunting rifle, maybe a backup, maybe a borrower for friends I take out to get into the sport etc. So want to keep it a sporter style. Id like it to be light but don't want it to beat anybody up too badly. Which is why I figured threading it as it is might be the best option... and a trigger tech... this factory trigger is horrendous (I am spoiled)

Aren't you proud of me buying a 700 ;)

Just under 8 pounds as it sits now

Attachments

• F36D1AB2-D439-4689-BAAD-8953471F121F.jpeg
    F36D1AB2-D439-4689-BAAD-8953471F121F.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 9F390B28-DA0E-4FF2-BDF4-8BCC2DFC4F35.jpeg
    9F390B28-DA0E-4FF2-BDF4-8BCC2DFC4F35.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 220
The goal for this is just a flat out generic hunting rifle, maybe a backup, maybe a borrower for friends I take out to get into the sport etc. So want to keep it a sporter style. Id like it to be light but don't want it to beat anybody up too badly. Which is why I figured threading it as it is might be the best option... and a trigger tech... this factory trigger is horrendous (I am spoiled)

Aren't you proud of me buying a 700 ;)
Sure, I think if more people would shoot a blueprinted or built 700, they would understand why most of us love them...

Oh, if you just want it for a loaner/backup, that makes sense why you wouldn't want to drop too much into it. Gotcha.

Have you shot the rifle? Does the factory barrel shoot well? If so, rechamber to .300 Sherman, thread the barrel & recrown with a recessed target crown, hand-lap the bore, and call it day.

If it doesn't shoot well, rebarrel with a PR Sendero Light or Bartlein 3B fluted barrel and chamber it to .300 Sherman. Keeps the weight down, but increases performance and accuracy.

If you want less recoil, the .280 Sherman is a great option.

I don't think hanging a suppressor off of a sporter weight barrel is going to make you very pleased with the accuracy. I could be wrong but I like short fat barrels to run with suppressors. That extra weight hanging off the muzzle seems to affect lighter weight barrels much more.

I agree on the heavy weight on a sporter barrel. It wouldn't be as bad if he's got a super light suppressor, like the EA Vox, Sandman Ti, or a direct thread Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

Likely have a harvester or omega on it so 11-14 ounces I expected accuracy to actually improve as it would dampen the whip

Muzzle measures .660 so thinking I can get it spun 9/16. Unfortunately the local guy won't do under 5/8.

Muzzle measures .660 so thinking I can get it spun 9/16. Unfortunately the local guy won't do under 5/8.
I would go 5/8x24... It's more universal for anything over .22 caliber. 5/8" is only .625", so you should be able to get it threaded with no issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.