Thoughts on WSSM and anternative calibers

smallbutfierce

Been looking into building an AR. I hunt coyotes and deer, so it has to be able to effectively take out these two animals. I have been looking at the .223, and as much fun it would be to shoot, I think I want more. I am interested in both .243 WSSM and .25 WSSM. Curious as to what guys who have shot these in AR form think about the ballistics.

Thanks

Been looking into building an AR. I hunt coyotes and deer, so it has to be able to effectively take out these two animals. I have been looking at the .223, and as much fun it would be to shoot, I think I want more. I am interested in both .243 WSSM and .25 WSSM. Curious as to what guys who have shot these in AR form think about the ballistics.
Thanks

223 WSSM - Much more case capacity than a 22-250. Barrel life is limited. Like other high velocity "varmint" cartridge it can cause explosive surface wounds.
243 WSSM. - Similar*to a 243 Win in a standard short action magazine. Low wind deflection.
25 WSSM - Similar* to a 257 Roberts in standard short action magazine.
300 OSSM - Similar* to a 308 Win in a standard short action magazine. Highest short range energy. Longest barrel life. OSSM brass is made by necking up 25 WSSM brass.
*None of them can shoot heavy low drag bullets limited by magazine length. the 308 OSSM is limited to 150 grain BTs. All require special magazines for use in an AR-15.

I'm not sure what you mean by "build". You can buy uppers which fit standard lowers from Olympic arms. I don't know of anyone who sells complete barrels, barrel extensions, or bolts separately. Accuracy Systems offers custom uppers.

Re: Thoughts on WSSM and alternative calibers

alternative, not anternative:rolleyes:
I guess I would be putting one together then, not build. But that info is very helpful. How "short" is the short barrel life?

I guess my real question is: Are the WSSM just a fad, or are they superior ballistically? Like, I could get an AR-10 in .243, but would a .243 WSSM be any better?

You can get the wssm in a AR15 platform. Detech makes a really nice one another option would be the 6mm turbo in AR15 platform. I have always wanted one. For short barrel life depends how you take care of the barrel. Most companies that offer these have better and heavy duty uppers to match lower and custom barrel.

New guy here. This is my firts post.
I just had the chance to get a real close look at a 25 wssm upper from Olympic arms. Without whipping out the calipers and taking measurments I really could not see much difference between the OA upper and my AR-15 upper. The dust cover and brass deflector were taken off, but the bolt carrier looked the same, it just had a bigger diameter hole for the bigger bolt. I wish someone would build a "drop in" bolt and barrel set up for these calibers. You would also need a single stack magazine that can be purchased now and will fit into any ar platform mag well. That would make these a bunch more affordable.

I've got several "alternative" calibers in AR-15 uppers. I have a DTech upper in 25 WSSM. Mike definately builds a great shooting rifle. I've got an Olympic Arms upper in 243 WSSM, and although heavy, it's a good shooter. My wife has a 6.5 Grendel and it, too is a fine rifle.

I looked at the AR-10 platform and was seriously considering it, due to the variety of calibers that can be used in it. I was able to pick one up and handle it alongside the Oly 243 WSSM. Absolutely no comparison in size, weight, and handling. AR-10's are big. If I wasn't going to pack it all day long, day after day while chasing antelope and coyotes, I'd go with the AR-10. However, I like to cover ground on foot. That's why I went with the AR-15 platform.

Mike Milli at DTech has some new calibers now that are really impressive. My next one will be either the 6DTI or his 6.5DTI. In fact I sent the money off today for a new scope...for the rifle I haven't ordered yet! They are based on the 6.8 SPC case, necked down with the shoulder blown out.

Olympic Arms came out last year with a slightly longer lower and chambered their AR-15 in 22-250. The magazines are longer and this will allow us "alternative caliber" shooters to seat those heavier bullets out where they belong and get a bit more powder behind them. I'm pretty excited about it actually. It will really open up more bullet options, and of course all the wildcats that can be built off a 22-250!

Oh yeah, just to clarify, the magazines for the WSSM's and the 223 are all the same. Just the followers are different. I've converted several for my WSSM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.