Thoughts on the Leupold TS-32X1 MOA reticle?

slickyboyboo

What are y'alls thoughts on the Leupold TS-32X1 MOA reticle? I like the idea of Leupold finally making a MOA reticle, but want to hear from anyone who has experience with one, or just general thoughts. Good, Bad, Indifferent, makes no difference, lets hear it.

I literally drive right be Leupold every day so it was easy for me to swing in and have this reticle added to a VX3 that I was planning to put on a semi-lightweight .280AI I built a while back. My first impression was that it was simply going to be too busy and all the Horus type dots, something I was not previously used to at all, would be distraction. Well, that didn't turn out to be the case at all. I shot that scope all summer with that gun and did like the reticle (although I did eventually end up selling it and slapping a NF on the gun when I drew my sheep tag).

I have two TS-32s in my 4.5-14s, one Mark 4 LR/T and one VX3 LR. I also have a TS-29 in my 6.5-20 Mark 4 LR/T. I'll never buy another Leupold unless this reticle is available for it. This reticle has everything I love about the TMR only it has much more. It's not busy at all and the subtensions are extremely accurate for reticle compensation. I say it was a fantastic upgrade.

I have them in two VX3s. One 30mm L/R side focus and one 1"tube. I've found the subtensions to be accurate and the scopes are very fast on target. I use the CDS dials in the MOA configuration. I use the reticle for gross adjustment then dial the fine. Out to 1200+yds I never dial more than 1 turn and hold off for windage. I find I'm shooting a solution much faster than my buddies who dial all the way up and down. Shots under 600yds are never dialed. I use these for hunting and steel banging. If I were competing in non-timed shoots I'd dial with a Nightforce or Vortex Razor HDII. For a hunting and light target gun the Ts-32x1 is about perfect for me. They weigh in at 15-180z.

I got my 4.5-14 VX3 lr back with the reticle upgraded a few weeks ago. So far I like it, but I've only shot it at the range and I am curious to see how it will perform hunting in the field in low light conditions. I am getting used to it and it is accurate, I'm also using it with a moa cds dial. My only concern before buying it was possible issues at dusk with visibility of the thin center stadia. I'll need to do some more testing, but it seems like it may turn out to be not as much of an issue as I feared.

I am considering the TS-32X1 MOA reticle as well.

Currently, I'm on the fence as my concern is that the reticle might be a bit busy and that with the open center crosshair that it would not be precise enough for precision shooting & working up loads.

I wouldn't worry about the open center. I just had a range session with mine and tried several types of targets to see what worked best. I was working at 100yds. 1" orange dots on a white background worked well. 3" black dots not so much. I think a 4" round /square target with a 1/4" contrasting center will work best at 100 yards. It'll utilize the hash marks at 2moa on each side and the open center. I also did some work to ascertain a half way point on the power selection ring that would halve the moa measurements. My scope does that at 8 power.
I haven't had an issue with the "busy" reticle. The only time I even noticed it was when I was sighting in the scope initially. I was trying to locate bullet holes and the windage marks were cluttering the view. I just started using the upper part of the reticle - no problem.
I chose this reticle for long range work and that is what it excels at. 100yd work is only for load development and sighting in. Large black targets are problematic as they are for most black reticles. I use a lighted reticle when I bear hunt. I really like the this reticle and have it in three of my VX3s.

I have a TS-29X and I think it's great. Totally functional for long range or point blank type shooting. I have found that when I throw the scope up quickly that my eye trains on the bolder primary crosshairs and I am able to line up quickly on moving and close range stationary targets. Very similar to the Vortex reticle which is also a very good design.-------SS

I was forced to swap an NXS 5.5-22 x 56 with a Leuy x.x-20x50 to lose the ounces.

The Leuy has the TMR reticle which is darn nice but the topic reticle will be installed.

Do ya have any idea how far 32 MOA from a 300 yd zero a 375 AM will shoot with out touching a turret? :D

I just got my New Leupold Scope 6.5-20 LRT 30
Got the ts-29x1 put in glass and reticle look awesome
Range tomorrow we have 400 yds here in ledyard CT ill let you guys know results

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.