Thoughts On The 338-06 Caliber, Or Re-Barrel?

I agree with others, try shooting it first before considering a re-barrel. I have a 338-06, great cartridge. Load some 180 gr bullets, and if it shoots well, go kill some deer.

I just put together a 338 Sherman. After seeing what a muzzleloader does to our whitetails, I like big holes...

338/06 is a great round. Several people around and my brother use this round for deer using the 160-185gr bullets, and it is a very good performer. Step up to mono's, and elk are on the menu. Even with the 180AB, elk routinely fall.

1642520954168.png

The 338-06 is a very versatile cartridge. It is the 06's big brother. I would not rebarrel it if it shoots well. You can take it anywhere and not be under gunned except africa in some cases. Very lucky find.

338-06 great cartridge, the difference between it and the 338WM is about the same as the 308 and 06. And the WM is the step up from all the 300 mags! But it should be greater with the 200 plus grains.
The 06 should have better BC and specs with 180s

I bought one. Loaded 210 TTSX and first group 3/4 inch at 100. Shoots 180 AB to 1/2 inch. If I had one rifle it would be this one. Do not change it, it will sell for much more.

I picked up a Cooper repeater that is chambered in 338-06 and I'm thinking about re-barreling it to a 25-06, or 7x57. I would like some opinions as if
I should leave it in the caliber that it is now or go ahead and re-barrel it? I live in Nebraska so Whitetail would be what I would be using it for. I don't know anything about the 338-06 so any opinions on this caliber would be greatly appreciated.
There is nothing wrong with that caliber for whitetail and the ranges commonly associated with them. The recoil is a bit more than the calibers you mention, but if you can get past that the only problem might be what bullet weight shoots well in it. I don't think I saw anywhere that you reload or will be shooting factory, but I sometimes assume that most here on LRH do.