Thoughts On The 338-06 Caliber, Or Re-Barrel?

Rock Jock

I picked up a Cooper repeater that is chambered in 338-06 and I'm thinking about re-barreling it to a 25-06, or 7x57. I would like some opinions as if
I should leave it in the caliber that it is now or go ahead and re-barrel it? I live in Nebraska so Whitetail would be what I would be using it for. I don't know anything about the 338-06 so any opinions on this caliber would be greatly appreciated.

It's a Fantastic cartridge and rifle for sure,but it's a little big . But if your into Smack down and can handle more recoil it will work great . It's a 30/06 case opened up to .338 bullet size ,many riflemen love the cartridge. If you get a screaming deal on price you could always trade it , personally I'd not rebarrel it ,there's a older saying don't shoot the doner, lol meaning you might fall in Love with it cause it shoots so darn well . You call have fun Cheers 🥳🧐🥳

The other two cartridges you listed are fantastic, no doubting that for a second, but the reality is that the 338-06 is one of the most versatile cartridges out there that has never been taken up by a major rifle manufacturer…..which is huge shame.
My very first Mauser '98 VZ24 I built is a 338-06. I mulled over all the options open to me, 25-06, 275 Rigby, 280AI, 270, 30-06 and 35 Whelen. After looking at the array of good bullets and good BC's, the 338-96 just made sense to me.
I use mine quite often on large deer and it kills them dead with ease. They never run more than 20, and the kills seem faster than with my big 338's.
A 210g Partition doing 2750fps is no slouch and for really big critters, a 250g Partition doing 2600fps will bring down just about anything.

Cheers.

Keep it and shoot it. I've had and built just about everything, the 338-06 is one of my favorites. It'll reach out if you shoot 160s or 185s. Like magnum said, flatten just about anything with the heavier bullets.

I've been real happy with mine. It's an ultralight that started life as a 30-06 Kimber Montana. Had it punched out to 338 and chopped at 21 inches. Right at 5 lbs bare, but it's plenty accurate for hunting out to 350 with a little 2.5-8 Leupy on top. 2800 with a 205 Hammer is no slouch.

I've been real happy with mine. It's an ultralight that started life as a 30-06 Kimber Montana. Had it punched out to 338 and chopped at 21 inches. Right at 5 lbs bare, but it's plenty accurate for hunting out to 350 with a little 2.5-8 Leupy on top. 2800 with a 205 Hammer is no slouch.
That sounds like a sweet rifle.

I want a lightweight versatile rifle and am looking at doing a switch barrel in 338 Win and maybe 25 Creed
Best of both worlds in a rifle

Edit: meant to say 338 Federal

Last edited:
Do you mean 338WM?
Because if you do, the case heads of the two cartridges you mention are very different. Can't be interchanged unfortunately.

Cheers.

You can easily load it hot or load it down. It would be a great addition to your collection.

H4895 can be used to make some mild loads:

Here are some inexpensive bullets you could put to use. I purchased 400 recently.

I picked up a Cooper repeater that is chambered in 338-06 and I'm thinking about re-barreling it to a 25-06, or 7x57. I would like some opinions as if
I should leave it in the caliber that it is now or go ahead and re-barrel it? I live in Nebraska so Whitetail would be what I would be using it for. I don't know anything about the 338-06 so any opinions on this caliber would be greatly appreciated.
A few years ago I had a 270 Win rebored to 338-06, loaded it with 180 gr Nosler AB at over 2800fps and shot a big whitetail in MO and a 6x6 elk in CO. I love that rifle. Its very accurate, cheap brass, and puts critters on the ground.

Pic? Cooper generally makes some really pretty rifles.

Option: rather than rebarreling… if you don't like or need it, you can likely sell an unmolested one for equal or more, and buy a rifle in the chambering of your choice more cost-effectively.

Heck, if it's a nice Cooper in .338-06, I'll buy it off ya!!!