Thoughts on TC Strike Rifle?

Ranger260

I am new to muzzleloading, and looking for a rifle to get started. Like many, I am an avid rifleman, but haven't branched into the world of blackpowder. I'd like to expand my horizons and hunting opportunities with a modern inline rifle. I've mostly been interested in the CVA Optima (for low price) and the CVA Accura (for accurate Bergara barrel). But I find them to be a bit heavy and a little clunky. I handled a TC Strike today and I liked the way it handled...shouldered and pointed well...and it seemed to have great features. I found a great deal [about half price] on this rifle that may cause me to stray from CVA. Do any of you have any experience or knowledge on this rifle? I would like to use this gun mainly for hunting elk and mule deer in northern Utah (mostly dark timber terrain or a mix of conifer/deciduous forest with open meadows interspersed). Would the shorter 24" barrel be a hindrance for someone wanting to reach out 150-200 yards [or beyond]? The Optima I believe is 26" and Accura starts at 27". There doesn't seem to be much info out there on the Strike. Thanks.

The Strike can create an issue with scopes and eye relief, because the mounting location is so far forward. Quite a few have had issues, with some getting the issues corrected. Sorry, but I can't remember the mounting system they used. Early models of the rifle had hinge slop issues, which will affect accuracy.

Not sure of the muzzleloader regulations in the states you plan to hunt, but KNOW THEM before purchasing. Some of the western states require an exposed ignition, some with no scopes allowed. Know your state's regulations before purchasing.

Best advice I can give, is what my dad (R.I.P.) used to give me.... "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

That said, although many are satisfied with CVA rifles and that's ok but, they can't and will not hold a candle to a Knight, especially for long range accuracy. Not intending to "P" off the CVA owners, but Knight rifles continue to be the top rifles (short of custom builds) at every organized inline muzzleloader shoot in the nation, including all NMLRA events.
The Knight Mountaineer is a great rifle, but if you're looking for a lighter rifle, the Knight Ultra-lite fits the bill. Good luck with your choice.

The Strike can create an issue with scopes and eye relief, because the mounting location is so far forward. Quite a few have had issues, with some getting the issues corrected. Sorry, but I can't remember the mounting system they used. Early models of the rifle had hinge slop issues, which will affect accuracy.

Not sure of the muzzleloader regulations in the states you plan to hunt, but KNOW THEM before purchasing. Some of the western states require an exposed ignition, some with no scopes allowed. Know your state's regulations before purchasing.

Best advice I can give, is what my dad (R.I.P.) used to give me.... "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

That said, although many are satisfied with CVA rifles and that's ok but, they can't and will not hold a candle to a Knight, especially for long range accuracy. Not intending to "P" off the CVA owners, but Knight rifles continue to be the top rifles (short of custom builds) at every organized inline muzzleloader shoot in the nation, including all NMLRA events.
The Knight Mountaineer is a great rifle, but if you're looking for a lighter rifle, the Knight Ultra-lite fits the bill. Good luck with your choice.
Encore, I think you and I frequent some of the same forums, so I will repeat my response here. It sounds like the scope mounting issue is a real concern. However, a link was posted on another forum showing that a DNZ Products Game Reaper mount is an option that works.
http://www.namlhunt.com/tc-strike-4.html
I respect your thoughtful response though. Your father's advice is worth heeding. But I have a lot of interests in the shooting sports and am looking to scratch this itch with something on the more affordable side until I know muzzleloading is for me. I know nothing good comes cheap however and you are just trying to steer me toward a rifle that will achieve my goals so I won't be wasting my money. Perhaps I need to save my money a little longer rather than chase a "deal". That Knight rifle looks to be a real dandy with its accuracy guarantee, Green Mountain barrel and Timney trigger.

I have been hunting with muzzle loaders exclusively for the last 20 years. I have 3 versions of Knight's Disc Extreme rifles that use their bare primer breech plug. When the LHR Redemption was first released(before TC bought the Brand) I was impressed and curious enough to buy one. It's a great gun and very accurate, easy to clean and handles really well in tight places. At first, I had real issues with scope mounting and eye relief. I bought some off set rings and changed to a Nikon scope with a long eye relief, which solved the problem for me. Since that time I understand several other solutions are on the market. It has a really good, crisp trigger, but my gunsmith was not comfortable with reducing the trigger pull to the 2.5 lbs I have on all my Knights. PS: The guys that built it originally were all former TC employees.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.