Thoughts on rifle weight and hunting

To the point.
I hunt primarily with a Kimber Montana that is ~7lbs scoped and loaded. Even though it's light I can shoot it as well as a 9lb setup. Other lighter type rifles not quite so much. I have several T3's but I find them harder to steady.
A lot of thought should be given to stock design.........
this year I will likely pack a 9lb scoped McWhorter. For a change....
But.....I don't hike 10 miles back in the wilderness and start hunting. I may walk 5-10 miles per day.

agree that stock design matters and that the T3 stock is not the greatest.

I just like shooting with a S&B PMII, also like aics mags, like an adjustable cheek raiser, like Spuhr mounts, like a slightly thicker barrel, like to have a suppressor and Harris.
The best I could get to was a bit over 11lbs with this rifle. Experimental stock just a tad over 28oz and a Hardy carbon barrel.
Took around 25 deer with her last season.

RC3AboC.jpg

With the 3-20x50 Ultra Short PMII

7HF8hLK.jpg

edi

packed a 10.5lb 300wm last year...it was a bit light for me for getting stable when sucking wind. That and recoil for me was still a bit much to be confident at longer ranges. Ended up filling my tag at 100 yards so not really a factor.

This year, my range rifle is a 20# 6.5 PRC...dropping the weight kit (~5lb) and packing it this year on a hunt. Maybe i'm recoil shy, but I shoot a heavy rifle SO much better and the confidence that comes with that is worth the extra weight to me.

I'll lay off the sugar a few weeks before the hunt and easily shave that extra 5lbs from my body...my legs can't tell the difference between 5lbs on my shoulder or 5lbs in my belly.

Guess I will quit worrying about using a 9lb McWhorter which I thought was a pig .....

what do you guys use to pack around 10-11lb rifles??

Lol, yah I'm sure I wont here in 20 or so years, but I'm only 34 and 150# with 5% body fat, so I'm gonna do it as long as I can. I feel 100x more confident in my shooting ability with it out to 1200 yards over my 8# mountain rifle...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.