Thoughts on rifle weight and hunting

Mine are usually barrel heavy, and in the 10-14# range. Though I admit that I haven't done a ton of way-in backcountry hunting, I don't think I'd change that. I'm still in good enough shape to haul them around.

A wise man once pointed out to me the irony that people will spend an extra couple thousand dollars to shed some ounces off of their rifle, but won't spend an hour a day in the gym to lose 30 pounds off their middle. 🤨
I have never seen a fat man while I was mountain hunting.You don`t need to go to a gym to stay fit.Cut and split 12 full cords of wood a year and walk 5 miles with a 40 pound pack every day you can will do the job.

I have never seen a fat man while I was mountain hunting.You don`t need to go to a gym to stay fit.Cut and split 12 full cords of wood a year and walk 5 miles with a 40 pound pack every day you can will do the job.
Check. Maybe not 12 cords, but i do a solid solid seven.

I guess I should clarify that I was not trying to accuse anyone with a light rifle of being out of shape; all I'm saying is that I see lots of folks getting wrapped around trying to make incremental gains with a featherweight rifle when there are other, simpler, and more beneficial ways of shaving weight.

I'm certainly no gym nerd either, but I work and hike a lot in my life. My perspective may change in the coming decades, but for now I would still rather carry the 10-14# rifle and know that my shot will probably be stable.

The other thing that I think may be relevant here is that I'm a sucker for the concept of a "do-all" rifle. I've tried M1A's, AR's (light, heavy, 10's, and 15's), Remington varmint, Bergara Approach, and now a Christiansen MPR. Cognitively I know that having purpose built rifles for hunting and shooting would be better in the end, but I buy off on the idea that I can somehow have a mountain hunting rifle that I could also smash an F class match with... not going to happen, but I keep looking.

That "long range hunting rifle" concept might be what makes me shade on the heavy side. Ironic, since almost all of my kill shots are <200yds.

Last edited:
The other thing that I think may be relevant here is that I'm a sucker for the concept of a "do-all" rifle. I've tried M1A's, AR's (light, heavy, 10's, and 15's), Rwmington varmint, Bergara Approach, and now a Christiansen MPR. Cognitively I know that having purpose built rifles for hunting and shooting would be better in the end, but I buy off on the idea that I can somehow have a mountain hunting rifle that I could also smash an F class match with... not going to happen, but I keep looking.

That "long range hunting rifle" concept might be what makes my shade on the heavy side. Ironic, since almost all of my kill shots are <200yds.
You just need a good medium weight rifle that you can carry 5 miles and one that you can shoot 1/2 MOA. Try the Sauer 100. If you can get into any kind of shape, it will do both. My Sauer 6.5 CM will shoot 1/4 MOA. Now if I can just get myself into better cardiovascular shape, we will be unbeatable.

You want it to be super heavy when you shoot it. You want it to be super light when you carry it. Let me know when you have a rifle that can do both. I will trade you mine for one that will do both. No kidding.

I've said similar for years about my rifle...." wish it were 2 pounds lighter to carry, and 2 pounds heavier when shooting it"! :) memtb

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.

I am 69, pretty good health, retired , and I get to hunt a lot most of the time.
I have found as I age, I like my rifles (and everything else for that matter) lighter .
My President, Donald John Trump, just bought me a brand new Tikka t3x superlite in 7MM-08.
I was going with the Browning X-Bolt but I do not like the small bolt handle AND, Browning would not sell me one of their larger bolt handles, so...Hello Tikka. I have a X-Bolt already (small bolt handle) and I did not have a Tikka. Well , I do now, and I love it.
The first 3 shots at 100yd. out of the barrel after bore sight was .86
I am a happy man

p.s.- I installed Talley mounts and a bushnell 3.5x10 scope. The rig looks good

The easy, light, accurate and inexpensive way for me is a Tikka t3x in 300 win mag for whitetails, elk, moose and sheep. Add a light weight premium scope and all you need now is ammo a tag and a mountain. PS Tikka guarantees sub moa with factory ammo!

Last edited:
To the point.
I hunt primarily with a Kimber Montana that is ~7lbs scoped and loaded. Even though it's light I can shoot it as well as a 9lb setup. Other lighter type rifles not quite so much. I have several T3's but I find them harder to steady.
A lot of thought should be given to stock design.........
this year I will likely pack a 9lb scoped McWhorter. For a change....
But.....I don't hike 10 miles back in the wilderness and start hunting. I may walk 5-10 miles per day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.