Thoughts on rifle weight and hunting

I think some people are missing the whole point of a light rifle and their accuracy at LR. Sure they can shoot good groups, from a bench at 100 yards or even 1000 yards some days, when you're not huffing and puffing, no adrenaline going, but that's not hunting situation either. Light rifles are good to carry, and that's about it...They leave a lot on the table when it comes to LR hunting accuracy in the field...I'd love to see these guys hit a 10" gong at 1000 yards with an elevated heart rate, in the field, with a 7-8# rifle consistently...People talk, dont mean nothing.

Are you going to sit in a blind or stand at 2,000 feet, or walk miles and up 12,000 foot mountains out West? You hunting deer, or sheep, goats or elk? Are you 34 years old or 64 years old? Will you hunt and kill something 500 yards from the truck, or 5 miles from the truck? Will you be hunting beyond 400 yards - or will you plant so shoot and kill, not just wound beyond 300 yards? Will pack animals be involved? Will you be alone, or have extra help along? How much of this type (see above) of hunting have you done before? It's different going up and down the mountains day after day than driving to a stand or blind. And the only way to train for the altitude and the weight is to do it. I'm 66 and 195 and hauled a 15 pound Bergara (on my pack) goat hunting two years ago. Shot the goat at 99 yards so could have had a much lighter (.270 Remington Mtn. Rifle) along, but didn't know. Good luck, and have a blast!

Long range is different than brush hunting, what is your accuracy demands? 1.500 MOA is more than adequate for a lot of short range hunting.

450,600 yard shooting? Set yourself up for success and don't whine about the discipline needed to do so.

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.
A lot of this depends on your age. I have 2 Winchester 94, 30-30's with 26" octagon barrel, Bushnell Nitro scopes that weigh in at around 11.5 lbs. I carried one of these guns around since 1971, used mainly for ground hog hunting. Now that I am 71 years old, I,m not too fond of carrying these any further than my own private range. I honestly prefer not to shoot them since they are becoming somewhat of a collectors item. Both serial numbers date them to 1969. In my 20's-30's it never bothered me one bit. In fact they are extremely nice to shoot, unlike my Ruger Hawkeye .375, this thing kicks like a Missouri mule and it has a brake. I wouldn't get rid of them at all. You would regret it afterwards.

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.

This is why "I" never ask what rifle to buy or build.

I had 3 ultra mags built identical, 7mm, 300, and 338 with fluted 29 inch light palmas. All right at 12 lbs with no bipod. I have sold the 300 and 388 ultra. And I have the 7 ultra sold after elk season. I had built a new 338 Ultra with a 27 1/2 inch #5 contour, fluted,10 twist. And a 300 Ultra with a 27 1/2 inch #4.5 contour, fluted, 10 twist . Going to order a 7mm 8 twist, 29 inch fluted #4.5 contour barrel to be finished at 27 1/2 inches. All of the barrels are Brux. And HS sporter stocks. They all have Wyatts 4.0 inch boxes in them.
My 7 ultra light palma weighs 11 lbs 12.06 ozs. Scoped
My new 338 ultra weighs 9 lbs 15.0 ozs. Scoped .
My new 300 ultra weighs 9. 11.04 ozs. Scoped.
My new 7 ultra should weigh about the same as the new 300 ultra.
My Factory 375 Ultra weighs 8 lbs 11.07 ozs for comparison. Scoped
I wish I would have built these lighter ones FIRST.:D
Gunaddict, To quote the Master from the TV series Kung Fu, "You have chosen well, (grasshopper)."

A fully set up rifle that's under 10lbs is good set up. My light weight rifle is 8.5 with scope and small bipod, my others are 9-10lbs. I've lugged 12lb+ rifles for main years and don't care to do it anymore
I agree! I think if you can keep it at 10 lbs or under it's great. The extra few ounces you would save may come back to bite you in terms of performance features (additional magnification, barrel rigidity, etc).

So according to some you:
If you hunt with any 8lb or lighter rifle: You will never hit **** at 1,000 yds. You are a !
If you hunt with 9 or 10 lb rifle, you might hit that animal at 1,000 yds: You are still a wussy!
If you hunt with a 11 to 20 lb rifle, you will hit that animal at 1,000 yds and beyond. You are a stud!

Last edited by a moderator:
MT,
Thanks for a thought inducing post (replies are near 100).
I found myself thinking the same thing as you about five years ago. My heavy hitter was my 40 year old Remington 700 BDL 7 mag. I still love this rifle and it still shoots sub-MOA, so I didn't replace it. I bought an X-Bolt SS Stalker in 7mm-08 & added a Leupold FX-6x scope, and I also bought a .270 Tikka T3x SS Lite & added a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44mm. These new rifles were to be my lighter, Idaho mountain rifles. Both do a great job on elk, and elk are the only animal I hunt (the meat). In thicker areas, I like the X-Bolt. For some trekking, I like the Tikka (that rifle was a great discovery for me and a great price).
My evolution (I'm 68 and been operated on ) with hunting includes better packs and rifle slings. IMO the Kilauea Universal Gun Bearer (pictures & posts above) and the Safari Sling (link below) are game changers in packing a rifle. I have three day packs - which one depends on where I'm hunting that day.
I have always been into conditioning year round, but aging has been a challenge for me. I weigh the same now as I did in HS fifty years ago = 165#, but now I know why my dear dad complained about his aches and injuries. So, with a new rifle or two plus a new sling, you should be good to go 🍷

I have a fierce rifle that comes in at 7.25 Lbs with optics and that is just fine. 22" in barrel adds to handiness. I don't see advantages to a heavy rifle for shooting in the field environment...but that's just me. Last 2 kills were 475 and 500 yds respectively off the sticks with the light rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.