Thoughts on rifle weight and hunting

Rem 7mm mag, 10.9 lbs, scope w 40moa base add 30 plus ounces, went with lightweight stock, took a nasty fall coming off ice/snow, cracked the stock from comb to grip. Kifura works well.

I think most would prefer to minimize whatever weight they carry given personal demands on maximum range and accuracy and of course cost. Lighter = $$$. Agree with everyone here that the optimal answer is very personal.

Most of mine are 9.5# without ammo or bipod. The exceptions currently are a 7# 10/22, a cheap 243 that is just under 8# and a Fieldcraft in 6.5CM that is a few ounces shy of 7#.

They are currently looking for a friend 7.5-8.5# with a brake and a 0.277-0.284" bore twisted once every 8-9" capable of tossing 150gr projectiles 3000fps+.

Rifles are tools. You should have a tool box equipped with several tools so you may select the right tool for the job.

How well you can shoot a rifle is a major factor. I used to hunt with 26" #4 barrel with a hunting style stock with a fairly large optic and bipod. It was easy to make shots to 1200 with it, despite being a 10 lb rifle.

I would not carry weight just to carry weight.

40+ years ago I started big game hunting with a Winchester 70 in 30-06 guessing total hunting weight was 10lbs. Some might say good weight. Let's you shoot better. bla bla bla. Fast forward those 40 years and my rifle is under 6lbs and pack weight is 7 ish and it hits steel at 1,200y if I do my part. Zero reason to punish your body with all the lite weight equipment now days.

Cooper Model 92 is said to come from the initial weight estimate was 92oz.

I hope others have noticed the post on this site about some issues one member had with the stock on that model and the very limited support he received from Cooper about it. Of course, ultralight weight stocks are not as strong as other options but good product design (i.e., recognizing the weak points and mitigating them) and support could have been much better, IMO.

I use heavier rifles for shooting prairie rats.I am sitting at a portable bench or laying prone and weight does not matter.Out west where I do spot and stalk I prefer a couple NULA rifles which weigh under 7 Lbs all out with 24" #2 Douglas barrels..I shoot them off of a daypack or BogPod and have had no problems out to about 500 yards.8 pounds all up is as heavy as I want to go on a spot & stalk hunt.

That's about the average weight for most of my rifles. I use Kifaru (universal) gun bearer.

This is a great product. I used this on a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt 2 years ago. Had a 7 hour hike in and out. Rifle could be deployed quickly if needed (since we were in grizzly country), but never in the way. I highly recommend it. It attached easily to my Eberlestock backpack.

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.
I prefer lighter for packing...so...the lightest rifle you can shoot well at the ranges you want is the solution I think. Never shoot at game farther than you are confident and never in wind. Wounded animals make bad memories

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.
I just bought a Browning Hells Canyon Speed X Bolt in 6.5 PRC with a Vortex Viper PST FFP 5-25-50. It weights 9.7 lb. with the pint rail and scope rings. I think the 8-10 range is pretty standard with a long range scope. Limber has the mountain ascent that could probably move you into the 7 lb range.

I use my backpack with the scabbard all the time to hike in the places where I'm going time I carry my rifle as if I'm going short distances but when I'm hiking in the mountains I always keep it in my pack it just makes it more safe in case you fall Here inWashington State its deep in the mountains in a lot of places

Mine are usually barrel heavy, and in the 10-14# range. Though I admit that I haven't done a ton of way-in backcountry hunting, I don't think I'd change that. I'm still in good enough shape to haul them around.

A wise man once pointed out to me the irony that people will spend an extra couple thousand dollars to shed some ounces off of their rifle, but won't spend an hour a day in the gym to lose 30 pounds off their middle. 🤨

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.