Thoughts on rifle weight and hunting

MontanaOutdoorsman406

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.

I have recently purchased a few rifles a bergara ridge and a terrain and they both are fairly heavy i know that weight is a benefit to shooting but wanted to see what some peoples cut off is for a rifle being to heavy the ridge i own is about 10lbs with scope and the tereain is almost 12.5lbs been looking at possibly replacing these guns for something a bit lighter such as a browning xbolt or tikka wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.

That's about the average weight for most of my rifles. I use Kifaru (universal) gun bearer.

I usually run a standard sling around left shoulder with rifle pointing up and in front of left side of body....
My left hand is usually placed on the rifle above the trigger guard....can easily lift the rifle off my shoulder and swing into action with sling under elbow.....
Only reason for a backpack sling...if I am finished hunting....and my rifles total weight loaded is 9#....

My go to rifle is about 10lbs with scope and bipod. Its a nice balance for a long range rifle to haul all over the mountains. However, my next rifle will be something in the 6-7 lb scoped category for those long hauls when horses arent coming along.

A lot of it depends on how you hunt and how far you shoot. I like around 7 1/2 lbs all in for a hunting rifle that will be carried much. If not much walking then it doesn't matter. Gone up to 13 1/2 !he if not going over half a mile or so. My 7mag goes about 8 1/2 and it's been carried plenty,but the 35 whelen I am working on should finish about 7 1/2--- but it's only about a 500 yard rifle.

For me personally, 8 to 9 pounds "all-up and ready to hunt". Much lighter and you lose some stability, much heavier.....they get a lot heavier in steep country! ;) If it's a high recoil rifle, you may consider more rifle weight or the "cursed" (by me) brake! However, if your pretty recoil tolerant, you can comfortably and accurately shot some pretty high recoil rifles at 9 pounds or slightly less....without a "weed burner" installed. As stated in the opening line....my personal opinion! memtb

I like heavier rifles myself. They are easier to shoot LR, especially after you've just climbed up and down mountains. Ever tried to hit something at 1000 yards with your heart pounding, adrenaline going, and a 8# rifle? Yah good luck with that lmao. Heavier rifles just sit in place and rest better. My LR hunting rifle weighs 16# ready to go, and it's about perfect IMO. I never cared for lighter rifles, nor see the need to spend the extra thousands of dollars to go that route. If I need a lighter rifle, I have one for a back up, but it's just that, a back up. I carry the 16# rifle 90% of the time over my 8# rifle. My 16# 7-300 Win Mag is really not that bad to pack up and down the mountains, I'm 34 and weigh 150#
Snapchat-415614890.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts