Thoughts on preferred barrel blanks barrels with 5 r rifling

I seriously doubt majority of shooters would know if a barrel was a 3, 4, 5 or 6 groove barrel in the way it shot or broke in if you didn't tell them or they looked.
The quality of the steel, machining and finish is 99% of how good the barrel is cut or button.
THIS ^^^^^

People tend to look at 5R profiles as being superior rifling. The benefit to using a 5R profile is easier cleaning. With the tapered edges of the rifling crap doesn't get stuck in a sharp corner as on a traditional squared edge rifling. As far as performance is concerned, there's no real benefit.
AND THIS ^^^^^

I've barreled well over 200 rifles and many of them have 5R barrels but it is only at a customers request or just because it happened to be available. I wouldn't feel the slightest regret using a "non 5R" barrel for any build and I don't take that lightly having my reputation on it. If I thought it would give an edge, I would be using it exclusively but I don't believe it does.

I have 5r Batrlein .260 shoots <1/4" MOA also also konw MPA/Spencer Button barrels that consistently shoot the same hole. It all depends on the manufacture and their process. No matter how good the barrel is if you don't have the right load and ability to shoot your results will be mixed.

I just mounted a Preferred barrel on a Tikka action with their barrel nut. So far I have only done barrel break in and hope to get out and test loads this week. Quality inside and out looks good. The barrel cleaned easily and took far less time to clean than a factory barrel. With a bore scope, there was far less tooling marks than expected. I'll be using this for Silhouette matches and so it will see a lot of use. Their barrel nut is of true nut design instead of the castle nut that other manufacturers use. (I think the castle nut has a more positive feel - but kind of ugly) Care must be taken when tightening the nut, not to slip and mar the edges. Even their supplied Wrench head seemed to have a little play and so I added a bit of tape to tighten it up. I'll hope to get back with positive results on load testing later on. The folks at PBB are easy to talk with and responded to emails and phone calls pretty quickly. I would not hesitate to use them again, as I am confident this barrel is going to be fine for my purposes.

Last edited:
I'm glad I started this and see so much good info that everyone has added cuz it's all good and glad to see the positive feed back on pbb it just makes me more excited for the barrels to show up. Tcross how long was your wait time till you received your barrel?

On their website, they say 10-12 weeks. Mine was just over 13 weeks. I was still impressed, especially in the way that the shooting industry seems be at the moment.

Ya, I know the feeling. But it gives you time to have all your components in order and on the bench ready to process - And then you get to stare at them for a little while more.....

I planned my barrel order around shoulder surgery so hoping all back together ready to go when it arrives. I should have about 8-9 weeks for PT until it arrives!! At least I won't be chomping at bit because of surgery.

What's your guys thoughts on preferred barrel blanks with 5r rifling? Any one try them?
I have a few from when they were still part of MGM. They all shoot very well. Have one on order now for my Weatherby in 6.5-300. I expect it to be a shooter. Have it set up with a 3.715" AICS bottom metal that will let me set the longer bullets. Getting it with a 1-7 twist.

I'm waiting on a 7mm-08 practice barrel for my hunting rifle, ordered in mid-December.

Just to clarify (since I saw someone mention 5r vs button), 5r is the profile. As far as I can tell, all their barrels are buttoned, even the 5r profile ones.