Thoughts on My New Rifle Build

I would try and make sure you have enough magazine length to load heavy bullets far enough out in the case. In my dads 300 win mag I have to stuff the big bullets deep to fit mag length. I wish I had a longer magazine to seat them farther out so I could take advantage of more case capacity.

I am becoming a believer in Seekins rings too.

Have you consider swapping bottom metal and going to an aics 300WM 3.715 mag? Some people hate mags but it is a nice option if you wish to increase length.

I would try and make sure you have enough magazine length to load heavy bullets far enough out in the case. In my dads 300 win mag I have to stuff the big bullets deep to fit mag length. I wish I had a longer magazine to seat them farther out so I could take advantage of more case capacity.

I am becoming a believer in Seekins rings too.

-and shorten the jump to the lands of the rifling-

In these days of Ultra Mags. I believe that there are some advantages to case capacity over what a 300 WM has. I like AI's. I have some throated guns that kinda turned into single shots because to the max COL to fit in the magazine. but my Dad, maybe not the real smart safari hunter and not ever a professional guide used a 300 WM exclusively on everything thing including cape buffalo probably as many as a dozen over the years.

Personally I wouldn't stop at 26 inches. 27 or 28 and a shorter style brake

Have you consider swapping bottom metal and going to an aics 300WM 3.715 mag? Some people hate mags but it is a nice option if you wish to increase length.

It is a savage 110 with blind magazine. It would require a stock change and bottom metal. Pops isn't ready to throw down that money, and I have a project ahead of that I need to allocate money to.

The savage 300 mag will consistently shoot .75 MOA or better so even with the jump it isn't the end of the world.

It is a savage 110 with blind magazine. It would require a stock change and bottom metal. Pops isn't ready to throw down that money, and I have a project ahead of that I need to allocate money to.

The savage 300 mag will consistently shoot .75 MOA or better so even with the jump it isn't the end of the world.

The blind mag will prolly require a little milling too. I've done several. I've changed to accustocks with dbm and or pillar bed with dbm pretty cheap but had to mill the actions. Same when going to a chassis. Just something to think about if go that route.

View attachment 171259
Unfortunately no pictures at this time.

300 Win Mag. (Designed for future elk hunt, maybe the occasional whitetail in Virginia.)
Stock - McMillan Game Hunter LA
Action - Deviant Hunter
Barrel - Proof Carbon Sendero 26" 1:10 twist
Trigger - Jewel set around 2lbs
Bottom Metal - Bdl OEM
Scope - Leupold Vx-6 3-18x50
Scope mounts - leupold Mark 4 aluminum rings

l would go with a custom crafted very high grade wallnut stock. classic stock , or a more tactical oriantaded stock but made from first class wallnut.but thats just me. l dont like plastic.
20200123_222927.jpg

1.jpg

I like it.

I was going to build a 300wm but was having a hard time finding a budget friendly custom action. I found a good deal on a tenacity but in ultra-mag configuration. I snapped it up and built a 30 nosler.

I just finished a ladder on the 230 begers which showed great promise and running right up to the max of QL with H1k gave 2850 fps and no pressure signs.

Congrats, Andrew..... Very nice look'n rifle. And in a good practical, "all around" cartridge.....until you get very specialized! I may have missed it, but, what is the total weight "all dressed up" ( scoped, fully loaded, slung) and ready to party? memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.