Thoughts on Lever Action

I bought a Marlin in 45-70. It's a great firearm, accurate and easy to handle. I use it as my Truck/SXS standby gun and for some hunting. I often hunt in heavy cover so no shot is over 50-100 yards. I wish I had bought a 30-30 rather than the 45-70 which is more gun than I need. I was invited to go hunting with the "designated hunter" from one of the local native communities. Would not believed if i have not seen it myself but he dropped a Vancouver Island Elk at 125 yards with a beat up old 30-30 ... his shot placement was of course flawless. By the cowboy gun and get it in 30-30 its lots of fun to shoot.

I bought a Marlin in 45-70. It's a great firearm, accurate and easy to handle. I use it as my Truck/SXS standby gun and for some hunting. I often hunt in heavy cover so no shot is over 50-100 yards. I wish I had bought a 30-30 rather than the 45-70 which is more gun than I need. I was invited to go hunting with the "designated hunter" from one of the local native communities. Would not believed if i have not seen it myself but he dropped a Vancouver Island Elk at 125 yards with a beat up old 30-30 ... his shot placement was of course flawless. By the cowboy gun and get it in 30-30 its lots of fun to shoot.

Does not suprise me at all. Ex solidrs were dropping large bull elephants with 215 303 Brit enfields after WWI.

I have seen proportionately huge animals taken with the lowly .22LR

I think we get so caught up on ideals we never give much thought to the true real minimums really needed. We also have no need as we are not exactly hurting for choices lol

I've had many lever guns, still have my original 94 30-30 top eject my dad bought my when I was 15. It has a Williams peep, its taken well over 100 big game animals. I have a Henry golden big boy in 45LC that is a hog thumper, I've shot Hog, black bear, Fallow deer...heck cant list them all it has peep also...I just think putting a scope on a lever is wrong. Except maybe the henry LR. I had a aluminum receiver BLR that just would not shoot any bullet well 2.5" top and had a 6lb trigger. spend well over $500 in ammo trying to get it to shoot. I really like the Henry LR I will have one in the future at some point I'm sure. My Henry 45lc is one of my favorite guns and has beautiful wood. Won it at Mule deer foundation banquet for $10, Mule Deer Foundation is engraved in stock.. With hardcast at 1400fps it will shoot thru Elk at 100yds.

Clearly they have a big following. I appreciate the responses. My first center fire was a bolt action Rem 700 BDL, with American made Redfield 3 x 9. I still have it. Come to think of it, it was my first left handed gun, and for a long time my only one. Much later, my Dad left me a Randall LH .45 as well. A lever action doesn't discriminate based on which paw you are wired for. Mostly, I've adapted to a RH world.

Binge-watching old episodes of Longmire (b/c I can't stand most of the big three network stuff), the main character has a lever action. At first I thought it was an antique piece, but it might be one of the Miroku /Winchester branded guns? Few closeups, so hard to tell. Appears to have nice wood on it.

I shot my first deer with a Winchester 94AE, 30-30 scoped. I sold it long ago and I kick myself for doing so since then, I have begun collecting them. I shot another deer just a couple years ago with another Winchester 94AE using iron sights.
i don't usually hunt with a lever action, but the 94 is so easy to carry through the woods, climbing a tree stand and maneuvering in a cramped tree stand. The flat bottom, light weight and slim profile makes it a joy to carry. Gives me the feeling that I'm carrying a thin baseball bat.

I've had many lever guns, still have my original 94 30-30 top eject my dad bought my when I was 15. It has a Williams peep, its taken well over 100 big game animals. I have a Henry golden big boy in 45LC that is a hog thumper, I've shot Hog, black bear, Fallow deer...heck cant list them all it has peep also...I just think putting a scope on a lever is wrong. Except maybe the henry LR. I had a aluminum receiver BLR that just would not shoot any bullet well 2.5" top and had a 6lb trigger. spend well over $500 in ammo trying to get it to shoot. I really like the Henry LR I will have one in the future at some point I'm sure. My Henry 45lc is one of my favorite guns and has beautiful wood. Won it at Mule deer foundation banquet for $10, Mule Deer Foundation is engraved in stock.. With hardcast at 1400fps it will shoot thru Elk at 100yds.
When you get my age you may change your mind about the scope the eyes just don't work like they used to
AC69678C-942B-47F3-A6C5-79E543207564.jpeg

I've kinda lost track, has any mention of good gunsmiths who specialize in levers, particularly Win 94's, been mentioned? I have found a couple who specialize in Cowboy Action type work, which is not the kind of work that I want done.

I have always liked the look of the Winchester 71 with the partial mag and the curved pistol grip. The Marlins I've bought over the years have always been the "S.C." model - partial mag and curved pistol grip.

Years ago at a gun show I had a chance to buy a large black and white studio still photo from the filming of Winchester 73, didn't have $200 to spend. Herb Parsons was using a 71 to perform the aerial trick shots for Jimmy Stewart.

View attachment 174727

So.......

......because of this thread, the fact I have zero self-control, work at a nice store with cool stuff, etc., etc.....

...this just happened to follow me home yesterday.

ATT00001(1).jpg
ATT00001.jpg

Very nice! I'm partial to the short mag, pistol grip stocked rifles myself. If not literally being loaded for Bear I'll take a crescent butt plate too.

Another marlin fan here.
I have a JM 1894c in .357 that handles and shoots like a dream. drops deer just fine inside 100 yards with a ghost ring sight.
I also have a remlin 1894ss in 44 mag. The scope and extra thump come in handy sometimes. It also handles like a dream. Got lucky considering I bought it during the marlin/Remington crossover in 2010.
I bought the lever guns in the revolver calibers in order to match a couple of my handguns and only bring one type of ammo with me to the lease. But that literally never happens. I bring a bunch of different guns and calibers every time.
CEFE68FB-3A33-4D01-B4B7-7B0095967E44.jpeg

I have both a pre '64 Win 94 and just sold a 1979 Marlin 336. Although both are fine rifles and equally capable, I enjoyed the Marlin much more. It's not a knock on the Winchester, just my personal preference. I only sold the Marlin because my close friend was looking for one pre-cross bolt safety and I'd give him the shirt off my back. The Win 94 was my Dad's and also the gun I learned to hunt with, so it has enormous sentimental value for me. By the way, the Marlin was 30-30 and the Winchester is 32 Win Special.

If I were to buy another 30-30 (and I likely will! ;)), I'd buy a Henry. I loved everything about the one I shot. Just a fine rifle in my opinion.

All my best,
Rob

For anyone who wants to get away from the cross-bolt safety on the Marlin rifles, here's a link to Beartooth Mercentile. They sell a replacement part for the existing safety that replaces the cross-bolt safety for $18. I put one of these in my Marlin Guide gun and never looked back. Easy to install, looks great and have never had any issues whatsoever.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.