Thoughts on Lever Action

I bought a JM 45-70 octagon cowboy during bow season this year.. Got it zeroed with 4 shots with a vx1 2-7. Was on a draw bow hunt, took rifle as a backup in case we went to my buddy's lease.. We ended up going to the lease.. Shot an old giant 5pt on a rainy morning.. Ended up being the only rifle I hunted with this year.. Harvested 13 deer with it. Best $600 I've spent in a long time.. It'll be with me or my son for a long, long time.

I have 4 model 99 Savage rifles. Kind of my childhood memories collection. My father however has over 20 in his "Gun library". They are a engineering masterpiece if you consider their time in the game. Rotary feed which allowed for ballistic friendly bullets as they were not a tube feed. I have a 250-3000, 300 Savage, 284 Win, and a 358 Win. I swear by them but they have their particular purpose. Long range is not in their job category. 200 yards ok and maybe the 250 lever at 300. I'll never sell them. They're going to my family someday. I'm 56 now and still use them. I live in AZ but have deep roots in New England with over 20 bonus points for a particular Moose hunt in NE. I hope to take the 358 Win along with a bolt rig someday when I get lucky enough to draw the tag. Anyways, I like the Model 99 Savage.

I had to trade off a Winchester 94 in 30-30 years ago and wish I had it back. It was my first center fire rifle. I have a Browning BLR and I love it. I would suggest buying a Winchester, Browning, savage 99 and a Marlin. Shoot all of them a lot to determine which one you prefer, and then keep them all. You can't go wrong with a extra rifle.😊

I have 3 BLR's, a .243, 270 wcf and a .450 Marlin. Everyone has a model 94 around here, but it is a poor choice for western hunting and I don't care for any Remington made Marlin..
I am a Browning guy, Miroku offers the 94 and 95 again and are superlative. Depends on your budget

Have been around Marlin, Winchester, and the Henry. Every body loves a lever rifle. They just feel good along with the nostalgia. The pre 64 wins just seem to have a more solid feel and sound but the post 64s are good also. I think the Marlins are a good stout built rifle and maybe show better accuracy. As for the Henry I know they sell lots of guns and people love them but I think their quality control is lacking. Haven't been around a lot of them but three have had problems that stemmed back to the factory. Granted they did take care of the problem. Not much help in answering your question but I would suggest getting your hands on some different ones and just see what feels right. And what fits your budget. Maybe you even have some buddy's that would let you shoot some different makes and models. Any ways, get you one. They are just fun to shoot.

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
I love lever actions and have several: 243 BLR carbine shoots .75" groups; Winchester '94 - not a great shooter and doesn't side eject so no scope; Marlin 336 30-30 stainless carbine open sights; Marlin 336 35 Rem Maurader (1961)

I love lever actions and own several: .243 BLR carbine shoots .75" groups; Winchester '94 (top eject prevents scope) not a great shooter; Marlin 336 JM stainless carbine 30-30 shoots 1 Moa, open sights; Marlin JM 336 .35 Rem Marauder carbine (1961) shoots 1 Moa with more knock-down than 30-30; Marlin JM 336 444Marlin P (ported) carbine shoots 1 Moa. I'vee also shot a Henry but it never shot as well as the Browning or Marlins. The .243 Browning took a Pronghorn at 330 yards and my 444Marlin P's longest kill was a whitetail at 225 yards with Hornady tiped factory load. All shots DRT. I can't recommend a '94 due to accuracy issues but the Browning shoots great and has a box magazine, meaning no issue with good ballistic bullets. My favorite, though is the 444 Marlin P. It's easy to shoot with little felt recoil and packs a wallop. Good luck with your search! Buy used, not NIB.

Last edited:
Pm me about your trapped that is for sale.
2F1A02F2-BA76-4F36-B625-BF1115F87DC0.jpeg2F1A02F2-BA76-4F36-B625-BF1115F87DC0.jpegC4D8EC47-1DB5-4FA7-9561-783F3F2F70DC.jpegF09877ED-B3A7-4CFE-9DE4-ACE307B08C06.jpegE72D0656-F8A0-4725-A007-10646FE31FB4.jpegF61866BF-F127-49F2-B5BA-A41E97A0241A.jpeg

Attachments

• 3B900686-BA82-496C-86D0-9D7416BE4692.jpeg
    3B900686-BA82-496C-86D0-9D7416BE4692.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
I would go with the Marlin 336 in .30-30. Just my personal opinion but it feels better in my hands than either the Winchester 94 or Savage 99. Not knocking either of them but the Marlin is my choice.

Get a Marlin and if you can find a pre-crossbolt safety gun. Mainly because usually those older guns have nicer wood. I still hunt a time or two each year with my '68 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

For anyone who has a cross-bolt safety Marlin, this safety delete from Beartooth Mercentile is a fantastic replacement part for getting rid of the lawyer-safety that is totally unnecessary. I refused to buy a cross-bolt safety Marlin until I found this product. The product is top shelf, fit and finish are great, easy installation, and reasonably priced at $18; and a good company to do business with. And......no I don't work for the company :), just sharing information.

I am considering picking up a lever action. This would not be a go-to hunting rifle, and certainly not a long range gun.
I might not even scope it.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Winchester 1894s, especially any pros- and-cons of pre-and post '64. This would be a plinker and maybe a truck gun, so not really interested in a pristine 120 year old gun for $3000++. I would not mind such a gun as a collector some day, just not today.

Others in the mix might be Marlin 336 or any of the Henrys.

Caliber-wise, I'm thinking either .30-30, for price of ammo and availability, or possibly .44 Magnum, in which case I'd have a revolver and short duty rifle that shot the same ammo.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on these choices, namely does one stand out as generally holding up better, or having a smoother cycling action, better iron sights, etc.

I've not shot lever actions much. My Dad's Henry Golden Boy in .45 LC, and a friend's .45-70, long ago. That's about it.
I have several lever action rifles, a couple of Winchester 94's in 30-30, several 92's, 357, 44 mag, 45 colt and a Marlin 95 in 45-70. I don't have scopes on any of them and these old eyes are finding it more difficult to use the Buckhorn type sights these days. Great shooting rifles and about as fun as anything I have to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.