Thoughts on Hammers on elk (out of a 6.5 CM)

Any thoughts on Hammer bullets and 6.5 PRC rather than 6.5CM?
If I were too use my 6.5 prc on elk I would use the 131 gr hammer out of my 1-7.5 twist at 3200 fps , second choice would be the 123 or 124 gr hammers at 3400 too 3500 fps . Check my impact vel for my maximum range too keep the bullet at a minimum of 1800 fps, and know where my shot placement needs too be for the best terminal performance , and practice , practice , practice .

I'd think that R17 would perk well with it
It could be just me, but I didn't have good results with rl17 with any bullet when I had a CM except when I was wrecking my primer pockets. I think it was fast but I couldn't get it to shoot under a minute and a quarter with any weight bullet while 4831sc got me to .4 easily and 4451 did about .6 at expected speeds. This was with 5 bullets across 60 grains of weight. I think it's probably a little slow for that weight anyway. Plus even regular hammers are a little bit "lighter" than their weight. Absolute hammers much more so.

15.5, 16, varget, h4350, staball, any of those should work plus they are temp stable (stable-er) which is important come elk season.

Correction, looking at the absolute hammer load data page on here rl16 works but is a little too slow burning for the 123. H4350 is a little better. Both are ideal for the regular hammers, the 124. Looks like StaBall and Varget both score well for the 123 AH.

Good friend of mine who can take whatever he wants for a gun went up north and shot a really nice interior grizz with his 260 Rem... killing just isn't rocket science
I killed a grizzly last year in the yukon with my 6.5x284. Bullet choice is important and personally I think the creed lacks the velocity needed to push the appropriate bullet to the right velocity for most shots

I killed a grizzly last year in the yukon with my 6.5x284. Bullet choice is important and personally I think the creed lacks the velocity needed to push the appropriate bullet to the right velocity for most shots

MM-on what critters are you speaking of in regards to your last sentence?

MM-on what critters are you speaking of in regards to your last sentence?
I've seen the differences in terminal performance on animals like whitetails and mule deer between a 6.5 creed a 6.5x284 and a 26 nosler. The more velocity the faster they plant animals. I wouldn't use a creedmoor on anything bigger than a mule deer. But that's just me

Speed is pretty much always going to make things more dramatic for sure.

That said, say a bull gives on a good broadside poke at pick your range and you shred the lungs with pick your bullet out of the little 6.5 what do you think is going to happen?

Sorry to be so direct MM but how many elk have you killed?

20" 6.5 prc. 124 hammer at 3140fps. Have shot many Red stags at ranges out to 400 yards. A large Red stag is not dissimilar to an average elk. Haven't lost one. Never shot one twice. Centre shoulder, angled shots and lung shots. Reliable and effective. I don't recall one not exiting. The internal petal damage is impressive.
I expect you could get a CM close to this performance.

Speed is pretty much always going to make things more dramatic for sure.

That said, say a bull gives on a good broadside poke at pick your range and you shred the lungs with pick your bullet out of the little 6.5 what do you think is going to happen?

Sorry to be so direct MM but how many elk have you killed?
I live in alberta
Where all the animals are bigger
Ive shot enough to know that bigger calibers make a difference at any distance
And that a wounded elk can run a long long ways

Last edited: