Thoughts on Hammers on elk (out of a 6.5 CM)

Is it just because of the CM (they don't want to be known) ? as for the 6.5MM.
The 6.5mm has taken more Moose in North America and Europe along with Plains Game Animals in Africa than any another caliber made.in the world for than past 120 years.
I would Hunt Moose any day with a .260 rem and get clean kill shots. Look with the 6.5X55 done!!! No questions after that.
Not that many north american moose harvested with the 6.5's. Europe, yes, here no
Moose also vary in size a lot, european moose arent anywhere near as big as alaska/yukon/kamchatka
There is no replacement for displacement, but if you had to use one it can work
You just need to use the right bullets for the job and your impact velocity needs to be high enough for the bullet to expand correctly
With a creed, your going to reduce your effective range
Whatever a creed can do, a prc or nosler will do far better

I don't understand why someone would

A. Care what someone else uses
B. Hate something because it's popular
C. Believe only magnum cartridges can kill stuff.

I'll be packing a 6.5 creedmoor for my elk hunts this year. One of which, my bull tag, is in a very difficult to draw area. I might even use a match bullet. But I limit myself to "midrange" distance (600ish yds, only because that's what I can practice out to)

Haters gonna hate.

I don't understand why someone would

A. Care what someone else uses
B. Hate something because it's popular
C. Believe only magnum cartridges can kill stuff.

I'll be packing a 6.5 creedmoor for my elk hunts this year. One of which, my bull tag, is in a very difficult to draw area. I might even use a match bullet. But I limit myself to "midrange" distance (600ish yds, only because that's what I can practice out to)

Haters gonna hate.

Smart man there Wyo!

Zeesh the internet and gun shops crack me up...........pretty simple question really and yet people have to bring in their opinions even though I didn't ask for them...........!

Question was, have you used a Hammer on elk via a 6.5 CM. Pretty darn straight forward and simple Q when it comes right down to it!

Totally cracks me up how so many people with so little real world elk killing experience have such strong feelings one way or another on this and yes it is easy to see who has some elk killing experience under their belt and who doesn't.

I just called Carson @ Lilja and have the barrel ordered, it'll go about .65" at the muzzle at 23" and scoped, sling, rounds it'll be less than 7 lbs and will go a long long ways when it comes to taking out elk. Will most likely use a 139 Scenar....gasp. But perhaps a Hammer as I love to promote those from the state:)

i havent used hammer, but i have used the 6.5 creedmoor on elk with barnes 127lrx. it worked as expected. dead cow elk. it was at max range for the combo. still a dead elk.

Curious George that I am, what do you figure as max range for that combo? And yeah I'll see if I can get the LRX to perk as well!

Thx

Is it just because of the CM (they don't want to be known) ? as for the 6.5MM.
The 6.5mm has taken more Moose in North America and Europe along with Plains Game Animals in Africa than any another caliber made.in the world for than past 120 years.
I would Hunt Moose any day with a .260 rem and get clean kill shots. Look with the 6.5X55 done!!! No questions after that.

Good friend of mine who can take whatever he wants for a gun went up north and shot a really nice interior grizz with his 260 Rem... killing just isn't rocket science

Everyone knows how I feel about the Needmoor, With that being said it will be fine for elk with the right bullet and bullet placement, placement being the key word here

Killing is always easy, if one puts a decent bullet in a decent place and at a speed that will allow the chosen bullet to perform the way that it should.

Which of the Ham choices would you look to for a elk bullet?