Thoughts on Hammers on elk (out of a 6.5 CM)

Here we go.

I wouldn't shoot an elk with a 6.5creed personally, because I have better options, but everyone seems to forget that natives killed them with sharp sticks for tens of thousands of years (or maybe much longer), and then the Europeans showed up and nearly eradicated them with 5 moa rifles shooting a half shaped chunk of lead at subsonic speeds. The worst 6.5 cartridge on the market it exponentially better than the best load used to nearly eradicate the buffalo. We are just spoiled and we spend ridiculous amounts of time on these mental masturbation exercises like this.

If you stay within your range limits, I don't see why a 124 hammer at 2900fps of out a 6.5CM wouldn't smack an elk at sub 2-300 yards. But this is a long range hunting forum lol. So I wouldn't personally set myself up with that load whatsoever. I had a 6.5 PRC shooting the 124 Hammers at 3250 and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shoot an elk broadside at 3-400 yards with that load. Again though, for elk specific, I don't see a reason to go so small and light and handicap yourself like that.

It's probably been done... But nobody on this forum will admit to using a 6.5 creed, especially on elk! 😂😂😂
Is it just because of the CM (they don't want to be known) ? as for the 6.5MM.
The 6.5mm has taken more Moose in North America and Europe along with Plains Game Animals in Africa than any another caliber made.in the world for than past 120 years.
I would Hunt Moose any day with a .260 rem and get clean kill shots. Look with the 6.5X55 done!!! No questions after that.

The 6.5mm has taken more Moose in North America and Europe along with Plains Game Animals in Africa than any another caliber made.in the world for than past 120 years.
I would Hunt Moose any day with a .260 rem and get clean kill shots. Look with the 6.5X55 done!!! No questions after that.
Bullet choice and impact velocity gentlemen

I personally have killed a lot of critters with the 52 grain hammer hunter out of a 223 including some big hogs( some shoulder shots) and I've never had to shoot any of them twice...it's all about shot placement with any cartridge and bullet combo in my experience. IMO the hammers will be plenty deadly on elk fired at CM speeds

0eb1bec60ca96b2e4ae06c7130eef34b.jpg

Yes this is the biggest argument in favor of 6.5 cal. Moose have terrible eyesight & are shot in thick brush, i.e. close quarters, the same goes for alot of African game. Not long range. They also used heavy for caliber bullets with high sectional densities at moderate speeds. Yes they worked & worked well, at close range. I own several 6.5 cal rifles & am a hugh fan & promoter of the caliber. But, there are much better options out there. Dead is dead, & you can't overkill an animal, but you can underkill it.. Food for thought.
Kev

Recent Posts