Thoughts on Grayboe and HS Precision

I have multiple rifles with hs stocks and I have zero complaints about them. I also have one Bell and Carlson stock that works just fine however I think the hs stocks have a slightly better fit and finish. No personal experience with grayboe however I've heard several good reports from friends that use them.

someone just posted on another thread that they had a grayboe that broke at the wrist--anyone else have any problems with grayboe stocks? or was this the "one bum stock" out there?

I have an accuraised Rem Sendero 6x284 that i bought a Graybo for, and am very happy with the fit to me and the feel overall. Having a bit of arthritis I need the near vertical grip.

I expected a drop in fit and it was. However with the recoil lug against the mortice the pillars did not line up with the threads. Thus the action screws would take all the recoil - not good.
After brass shimming the RC lug everything lined up beautifully. I will shoot for group and if ok i will leave it. If not i will Devcon bed it.

The rear tang fit, action sides and BBL clearance were good to go and it was here that i expected to do some fitting but not the recoil lug.
I have not and will not drill any holes in it to mount a pic rail so i will use a Harris on the stud provided
Overall very happy with this stock.

Bought used GB Renegade at gunshow last yr for $200. Had minor blemish on top front and i wanted bottom metal.. Sent to GB and 3 weeks later returned with NEW stock and with reduced quoted price. First stock was for 700 SA, so impressed with customer service i ordered a 700LA Renegade. I have Mc Millan and AI and several other stock makers, and am most impressed with Greyboe. If u want a drop in in, GB is the way to go. A little wide on front end and heavier than some, but they make a GREAT stock. Every gun i put those stocks in improved accuracy w/o bedding. Then I bedded LA in a 300WM and went from 3/4moa to under half inch. Granted, both guns are custom builds with Bartlein tubes on trued Remmies, with no issues with fit and finish.

So it's the stocks fault.
no one said it was that I know of
I just personally haven't seen too many broken stocks and I was wondering if anyone else had seen or had similar problems with a grayboe stock or if this was purely an accident or 1 time issue-- stuff happens
not too many manufactures show a "cut away" of their stock design and I can see how some could be stronger designs than others --- descriptions of stocks are often very vague, and people assume that CF stocks will be as strong or stronger, yet lighter than other manufacturing techniques yet that may not always be the case

no one said it was that I know of
I just personally haven't seen too many broken stocks and I was wondering if anyone else had seen or had similar problems with a grayboe stock or if this was purely an accident or 1 time issue-- stuff happens
not too many manufactures show a "cut away" of their stock design and I can see how some could be stronger designs than others --- descriptions of stocks are often very vague, and people assume that CF stocks will be as strong or stronger, yet lighter than other manufacturing techniques yet that may not always be the case
Good point I would like to see a cut away before choosing

Good point I would like to see a cut away before choosing
wildcat composts shows cut-a-ways of their ultralight stocks --they have an internal "I-beam" style construction and the barrel channel has a layer of cloth/resin
I personally have finished an MPI stock and it appears to be the same construction as the cooper stock that failed with the user installed rail/bi-pod we recently saw in the other thread--just foam filled, no cloth/resin in the barrel channel, no internal support
sako uses a seamless CF "sock" but no internal supports
PSE-composites uses a unique approach and uses an integral carbon rod skeleton
I wish we could compare each manufacturing process and construction but not all the manufactures are willing to release that info

I'm not familiar with the Grayboe but have had many HS Precision stocks. They are well made and most look very good aesthetically as well. As SLV hunter said, they are a tad on the heavy side. Other than that, the only thing that I don't really care for is that on their sporter style stocks the grip tends to be a bit "fat" for my liking. Perhaps 10-15% larger than I like but that's all personal preference. I'm sure you will be happy with whichever one you choose.
Avoid the palm swell models. I've got one and don't care for it.

H S Precision builds quality stocks. My H S hunting stocks seem medium weight. Purchase experience was excellent twice.

I have used both over the years. Both are good stocks, but I prefer the Grayboe for two reasons. First, I hate HS precision's recoil pads. They are very stiff. Second, I am not a big fan of the aluminum bedding blocks. It just a personal preference.

I have had several of both greyboe and HS Precision. I don't like the shape of most of HS Precision stocks, though their vertical grip stock isn't bad. I really like the ergonomics of the greyboe terrain stock, I've owned three and currently own two. I'm also the guy who's greyboe stock broke at the wrist. It definitely should not have broken. The sling swivel popped out of the flush cup when I swung the rifle up onto my shoulder. The rifle fell from my shoulder and hit muzzle first in the prairie dirt. For a second I was actually really confused as to why I was holding the sling at my shoulder but felt no weight on my shoulder. Then I felt the rifle hit the ground. The stock split in half right on the rear pillar. I've had three different rifles fall off my shoulder and hit the ground like that for three different reasons. One was a slick leather sling that slid off as I was climbing over a rise, the other was a plastic buckle that just snapped for no reason and third was the flush cup that i mentioned. This was the first time part of a rifle broke. The other two incidents were with different rifles one in an HSP stock and the other was a McMillan.
I don't know why the greyboe stock snapped but it did. For what it's worth they sent me a new stock to replace it.

Attachments

• EC30409F-788C-4D70-BEFF-466D019486D1.jpeg
    EC30409F-788C-4D70-BEFF-466D019486D1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 285
  • C9979526-B228-4F1C-9A6F-2A7968423096.jpeg
    C9979526-B228-4F1C-9A6F-2A7968423096.jpeg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 916A9E0D-EB5F-4305-BD26-DCB4B3D33CEF.jpeg
    916A9E0D-EB5F-4305-BD26-DCB4B3D33CEF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 306
  • 40108BB4-0642-4494-97E9-2B021279F132.jpeg
    40108BB4-0642-4494-97E9-2B021279F132.jpeg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 304
  • 59EC95A9-6525-4247-B6DF-9170A9CE369B.jpeg
    59EC95A9-6525-4247-B6DF-9170A9CE369B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 300
I think that says something about the integrity of Greyboe. 👍
Definitely, unlike Cooper who blamed the owner when the fore-end snapped off their stock. Greyboe didn't try to blame me or accuse me of misuse they even sent me a return label and everything. I had a custom paint job and bedding that was lost in the incident but they upgraded the stock to a camo dipped version to make up for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.