Thoughts on frankford arsenal universal bullet seating die?

Bigeclipse

This is a pretty cool concept. A competition seater die with multiple sleeves allowing you to only need one seater die for many different calibers. What are yours thoughts?

I'm curious what is said on this topic. I have used a few of Frankford Arsenal products lately, seems like they have really upped their game on their stuff. I don't think I wanna be the guinea pig on this one yet tho.

Well can't speak from hands on experience as I don't own one. That said I've always felt that anything universal can and sometimes will lead to more items to move in their holder which is what the die shell would be. In and out a lot with clearance's already engineered in, maybe thats just what they need to work well maybe not.......Just sayin'....

I'm already committed to forster benchrest seaters and with their performance and accuracy I would not change course at this point. With the almost total lack of runout now being experienced with forster seater's and mandrel's, I can't envision it would improve anything from the way it's working for me now.

Would think this would be something for a new to handloading or not to well outfitted in the die department yet loader to maybe try. Might be the next really innovative deal to appear, who knows till they are on the market for a while and start getting used by member's on site. I think their handprimer tool is the best, like their small electronic scale, it's impressive, but don't care for and passed on their new m-press recently. Dave

Last edited:
Well can't speak from hands on experience as I don't own one. That said I've always felt that anything universal can and sometimes will lead to more items to move in their holder which is what the die shell would be. In and out a lot with clearance's already engineered in, maybe thats just what they need to work well maybe not.......Just sayin'....

I'm already committed to forster benchrest seaters and with their performance and accuracy I would not change course at this point. With the almost total lack of runout now being experienced with forster seater's and mandrel's, I can't envision it would improve anything from the way it's working for me now.

Would think this would be something for a new to handloading or not to well outfitted in the die department yet loader to maybe try. Might be the next really innovative deal to appear, who knows till they are on the market for a while and start getting used by member's on site. I think their handprimer tool is the best, like their small electronic scale, it's impressive, but don't care for and passed on their new m-press recently. Dave
I can see this point as well. I wonder if for my needs it might be good. I have a bunch of dies but no competition seater dies. Just standard seater dies from RCBS, Redding, and Lee. I might give this a go and see if I notice an improvement.

That might be the ticket, it's so new that no one seems to be using one yet. Its very interesting approach, what I noticed was it is only caliber specific not cartridge specific. The forster's I use actually come down around the case to hold the bullet straight and guide it into the seater. The frankford would use only the neck at most maybe? Give one a try and see what you think. Dave

Just checked it out on their web site. Looks good, only as @Savage 12BVSS pointed out time will tell. I've never used one but if it only supports the case neck then I have my doubts that it will be as good as the Forster or Redding. I have used several seating dies that use a collet that supports the neck (Hornady-RCBS Comp etc) and was not impressed with the run-out #'s. In fact in a comparrision test that I tried for myself I got better #'s with the standard Lee Dead length bullet seater than I did with my RCBS Comp seater or the Hornady unit. Now maybe the Frankfortd unit is different.

That might be the ticket, it's so new that no one seems to be using one yet. Its very interesting approach, what I noticed was it is only caliber specific not cartridge specific. The forster's I use actually come down around the case to hold the bullet straight and guide it into the seater. The frankford would use only the neck at most maybe? Give one a try and see what you think. Dave
Dave, I have a RCBS comp seater, set up for my 7-08, that I have used on 7STW, 7mm mag, and now 7-08. As you stated, it only captures the neck. I've measured run out, and have minimal issues with it. On the short action, you hsve to use a extended holder, it is very tight fitting, especially with Lapua brass, which I think is part of equation as well. With the rim fit, being very tight, I think that it contributes to a more in line seating, thus, less run out.
I have also had non comp dies, that seated square, just had to be fussy about shell holders.

Just checked it out on their web site. Looks good, only as @Savage 12BVSS pointed out time will tell. I've never used one but if it only supports the case neck then I have my doubts that it will be as good as the Forster or Redding. I have used several seating dies that use a collet that supports the neck (Hornady-RCBS Comp etc) and was not impressed with the run-out #'s. In fact in a comparrision test that I tried for myself I got better #'s with the standard Lee Dead length bullet seater than I did with my RCBS Comp seater or the Hornady unit. Now maybe the Frankfortd unit is different.
Cape, that Dead Length seater works very well. That's the one I was referring to in the comment I made to Savage!

Well Bigeclipse.....let me know if you get em' and what you think. It has the potential to save a reloader hundred's in seater expense alone. Makes me curious actually.........it is however too late to save me much money. Dave

Has anyone had experience with this setup yet? I purchased a Frankford Arsenal M Press, I like it, however my Forster Ultra Micro Seater die does not fully fit in the press the upper end of the die is wider and will only screw down so far before bottoming out. It works, but wondering if this Frankford Arsenal Micro seating die works as good as a Forster or Redding. I have several rifles this would work great for, may be a Christmas request, but would love to hear from people with experience using it.

Has anyone had experience with this setup yet? I purchased a Frankford Arsenal M Press, I like it, however my Forster Ultra Micro Seater die does not fully fit in the press the upper end of the die is wider and will only screw down so far before bottoming out. It works, but wondering if this Frankford Arsenal Micro seating die works as good as a Forster or Redding. I have several rifles this would work great for, may be a Christmas request, but would love to hear from people with experience using it.
There is a video on YouTube of someone testing them and the runout. They did decent. Not as good as a forster seating die but acceptable depending on how much runout is ok to you

Yeah, I watched Gavin Ultimate Reloader video, using a 6 mm ARC and seating them long, did not really tell me much, it would have been better if he seated them according to how his rifle is setup, say 20 thousands off the Lands. It would have been even better if he would have tested it against a Redding Micro Seater die to verify the difference in runout. That is why I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience with it. The price point with the amount of options you have is cheaper than buying individual Micro Seating dies for each cartridge. I believe I read his runout was .002, I do not have a concentricity tester, may build one, to verify what my Forster Ultra Micro Seater is doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.