Thoughts on caliber choice

Being somewhat of a minimalist I am narrowing down my rifles and caliber choices as to provide me with the largest variety of applications.

Id like to pick two of the following and want yalls input.

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

choosing these because i have all the reloading components so really not going to deviate much.
Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico.

Which two of the above would you keep?
280 rem. or the new 270 from Winchester & browning it shoots 165-170-or175 bullets

I have sometimes fantasized about selling most of my accumulation and buying a minimalist gun battery. Selling the stash would let me own the best of the best for each of my minimalist choices. Then I wake up and realize I love my toys. I have fallen for every one for specific reasons, even if it is just the great wood in the stock, or the history of the gun. I DO usually find one good load for each gun. I hate re-sighting and hate even more constantly switching scopes. Ammo boxes are labeled for each gun.

Being somewhat of a minimalist I am narrowing down my rifles and caliber choices as to provide me with the largest variety of applications.

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

choosing these because i have all the reloading components so really not going to deviate much.
Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico.

6.5-284 & .300 Winny

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

Lots of answers popping up, some make sense a lot don't for someone interested in international travel.

That said, please fill us in regarding to what distance you regularly practice and to what ranges have you killed to date and feel comfy with.

Lots of answers popping up, some make sense a lot don't for someone interested in international travel.

That said, please fill us in regarding to what distance you regularly practice and to what ranges have you killed to date and feel comfy with.

Appreciate everyones input, certainly some good arguments for .300 and 6.5x284.

all are based off 700 actions and configured to be lightweight rifles.

Home range is 600 yards and while most of my time is spent at the 200 yard range, I do practice out to max distance regularly. Especially when inching closer to hunting trip/season. My two longest kills have been an aoudad at 450 and a coues at 550. Likely wont shoot anything past that.

Thanks, any interest in the idea of selling one or two and buying one other rifle to go with the 300?

Side note, on a personaly note for me it just doesn't get any better than Coues in Sonora

Last edited:
Thanks, any interest in the idea of selling one or two and buying one other rifle to go with the 300?

Side note, on a personaly note for me it just doesn't get any better than Coues in Sonora

Well technically, whichever rifle doesnt make the cut will be put up for sale.

My point was going to be, sell the 280 and the 6.5. Buy or build a 270 or an 06 and get to rocking. Scope them so you can easily go to 600.

Then you would have a 300 and a 270 or 06 all of which you have a chance to find ammo for if off in a far land like Hermosillo

My point was going to be, sell the 280 and the 6.5. Buy or build a 270 or an 06 and get to rocking. Scope them so you can easily go to 600.

Then you would have a 300 and a 270 or 06 all of which you have a chance to find ammo for if off in a far land like Hermosillo
Your last paragraph is the most important of this entire discussion!!