Thoughts on caliber choice

I use my 6.5cm for most everything now.
The 143 ELD-X has exhibited all the necessary positive traits to make it my go-to hunting caliber. On the range I can dial up to 1000 yds with perfect vertical placement. Light weight, very little recoil, I have about 800 rounds of ammo squirreled away so I'll never run out.
I do still enjoy shooting my 300 win mag BIG-GUN on occasion. Recoil manageable with a brake and double recoil pads. It does however move just enough to lose target image in scope upon firing, less than ideal. I shoot Copper Creek custom load with 200 gr Accubond. I can easily dial 800 yds with near perfect vertical placement.
I use a Rock River AR in 5.56 for pig hunts.
77 gr HPBT bullets are fabulous! Accurate and deadly. Brain stem or ear shots drop them like a sack of potatoes.

Being somewhat of a minimalist I am narrowing down my rifles and caliber choices as to provide me with the largest variety of applications.

Id like to pick two of the following and want yalls input.

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

choosing these because i have all the reloading components so really not going to deviate much.
Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico.

Which two of the above would you keep?
6.5 x 284 Norma and 300 WinMag. these are 2 of my favorite calibers.

I have only had experience with the 280 and 300 . They are both great if you do your part and the bullet performs then you should have no problems. One of the largest brown bears in the Smithsonian was with a 30-06 so guns are not the deciding factor the Hunter is. The number 9 grizzly BC was shot in Slave Lake Alberta by Bella Twin with a 22 short rim fire. Coming through the window of her cabin, would not recommend that caliber for hunting.

You couldn't GIVE Me, a .300- 338 Magnum ! There is NO need for them, IMO and my shoulder Aches, just thinking of them !
I LIKE to Practice shooting, quite a few rounds at, 10"-11" dia. steel Plates at, 125 Yds offhand, 350-400 Yds sitting and 650-700 Yds Prone.
Recoil, is your Enemy for, accurate shooting ! And, I DON'T Hunt with, Braked Guns.
The .280 Rem. will / CAN, Kill ANYTHING on this Planet with,. the "Right" Bullet !
Don't over think this, chit ! The .280 Rem., "kisses the behind" of, the 7 mm Rem Mag and is Basically an .06 with a 7 mm Bullet !
The .06 HAS Killed,.. EVERYTHING !
Guys, PLEASE wait until, I get my Fire Retardant Suit on, for you, Flamers ! LOL,..
My .338 Win Mag. FLINCH is,.. almost,.. GONE, 20 years,.. Later !

Last edited:
And your New, .280 Rem barrel will outlast, those other 2 Choices,.. by at least,.. 2 X !
The 6.5 .284, is nice as, a second choice.
IF you think, you NEED a Big Magnum, SKIP, the .300's and go .338 Win Mag or, .375 H& H with, 250 / 275 Grain, Partitions, to STOP,. a Grizz charge !

Last edited:
You couldn't GIVE Me, a .300- 338 Magnum ! There is NO need for them, IMO and my shoulder Aches, just thinking of them !
I LIKE to Practice shooting, quite a few rounds at, 10"-11" dia. steel Plates at, 125 Yds offhand, 350-400 Yds sitting and 650-700 Yds Prone.
Recoil, is your Enemy for, accurate shooting ! And, I DON'T Hunt with, Braked Guns.
The .280 Rem. will / CAN, Kill ANYTHING on this Planet with,. the "Right" Bullet !
Don't over think this, chit ! The .280 Rem., "kisses the behind" of, the 7 mm Rem Mag and is Basically an .06 with a 7 mm Bullet !
The .06 HAS Killed,.. EVERYTHING !
Guys, PLEASE wait until, I get my Fire Retardant Suit on, for you, Flamers ! LOL,..
My .338 Win Mag. FLINCH is,.. almost,.. GONE, 20 years,.. Later !
I got a few FIRE EXTINGUISHER ready for you too. Just want to keep you from getting 3rd degree burns. They suk.

6.5. And 300 would be my choice

Given your "Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico," I would put the 6.5 x 284 Norma in a lightweight sheep rifle #1 and the .280 second with your favorite components in a build (if you have time).

Being somewhat of a minimalist I am narrowing down my rifles and caliber choices as to provide me with the largest variety of applications.

Id like to pick two of the following and want yalls input.

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

choosing these because i have all the reloading components so really not going to deviate much.
Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico.

Which two of the above would you keep?
What's wrong with a Rem 243. You lost your edge lol. Just kidding.
of your list I'd get the 300WM. In my opinion it's the best all around of that group. However a 7-1/2 tw barrel on your 243 (if you own one;as it's your name) would kill all kinds of critters big and small too.
I have many rifles and caliber but my GTG is a 270Win. 96 years and counting it's still king in my castle 😂

Caliber choice comes down to conditions and range. What kind of conditions will you have to shoot in and how far? If its really windy where you hunt like it is here in sw Mt. then heavy high bc bullets help (not light high bc bullets). If you want to shoot longer range, ballistics help. Anything works close in. While a .243 will take any game with perfect shot placement, that shot placement becomes more difficult with distance and wind. So dont just think energy, think hit % in changing climate and windy conditions.

What condition is the throat of your 6.5x284 ?

what rifle is the 280 chambered in ?

i don't see where a 300 fits into your hunting plans unless something is not "right" with these two