Thoughts on caliber choice

rem243

Being somewhat of a minimalist I am narrowing down my rifles and caliber choices as to provide me with the largest variety of applications.

Id like to pick two of the following and want yalls input.

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

choosing these because i have all the reloading components so really not going to deviate much.
Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico.

Which two of the above would you keep?

The 6.5-284 Norma will do everything you need for what you described. It's a great cartridge. If you're picking 2, I'd go with the 300 Win Mag and the 6.5-284. Ballistically, the 280 Rem is close to the 6.5-284. The 300 WM gives you more if you ever want or need more, plus I feel everyone should own at least one 30 caliber
I own a 6.5-284, 280 AI and 300 WSM. Love every one of them for different reasons and I just like having multiple rifles in different cartridges

Being somewhat of a minimalist I am narrowing down my rifles and caliber choices as to provide me with the largest variety of applications.

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

choosing these because i have all the reloading components so really not going to deviate much.
Game will range from sheep/goats in BC and central asia to coues and mule deer in Mexico.

Any of those 3 will do one just fine, for international travel I way prefer a round that's very common anywhere one goes.

That said, I'd go with the 300 Winnie. I'd sell the 6.5 and the 280 and build myself a twin of the 300 you have now.

Just one way to consider...naturally I've traveled with my 6/06 and 7 Mashburn Super:)

Feels like a trick question. The 280 would stand alone and handle it all without the recoil of 300. All the hunts sound like a light rifle would be a big plus making the 300 less enjoyable still. In BC a 160 Partition would still be pretty discouraging even to a persistent bear and sleeker hi BC or super fast mono would be great out of bear country. Sell the other two and spend the $$ on a scope and binos. By the way I hate the 280 and would never actually own one simply due to it's exceptional efficiency and versatility. Beware the man with only one rifle - he's probably bored enough to shoot you for sport. Yep, definitely go with the 6.5 and the 3 hundo!

Never owned a .280 Rem., but the 6.5-284 Norma will take any of the animals you listed. I've taken whitetails with 140gn class bullets out to 725yds with ease. Others on here have done the same, out to and past 1000yds.
Remember, it was the darling of the F-class forever, one reason I read; it provided trajectories similar to the 240gn .30 cal bullet without the recoil. Shot one for many years.
Love the .300WM also. With the right set up (i.e., barrel length, weight, bullet weight, stock fit and MB) it's a hammer at any yardage a trophy needs "hammerin".
Truthfully, I could live with either one. I'd feel slighted but I could make it. :)

.300 win mag
.280 rem (not ackley)
6.5x284

6.5 X284 also 300 WinMag