thought's on building a custom 300 rum barrel ?

magnum-tim

thought\'s on building a custom 300 rum barrel ?

Hello,
I'm new to the big boy's. I just rebarreled a 204ruger with a 1.055 diameter 28" 1-11 twist,3groove and and cut my groups by 2/3 just in the break in.
So now I'm looking to rebarrel my savage 300 rum with a custom barrel and was wondering what changes to make as in twist-rate,number of grooves and in lenght to get the most out of it.I was thinking a 1.120 straight cylinder 1in11 twist 3 groove 32" with a JP Howitzer muzzle brake.It will be for paper punching and very little tripod hunting.bullet weight I'm was thinking 168gr up to 240gr just for B.C. still learning.So I'm looking to you fellows (experts to me) to guide me down this new path.If you will.Please.

thanks timmy

Re: thought\'s on building a custom 300 rum barrel ?

Since a rifle's accuracy may be limited by its weakest link, I'd consider blueprinting the action and properly bedding the action when upgrading to a match quality barrel.

That's assuming that the stock is rigid enough to be a good platform for a build.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,
I'm new to the big boy's. I just rebarreled a 204ruger with a 1.055 diameter 28" 1-11 twist,3groove and and cut my groups by 2/3 just in the break in.
So now I'm looking to rebarrel my savage 300 rum with a custom barrel and was wondering what changes to make as in twist-rate,number of grooves and in lenght to get the most out of it.I was thinking a 1.120 straight cylinder 1in11 twist 3 groove 32" with a JP Howitzer muzzle brake.It will be for paper punching and very little tripod hunting.bullet weight I'm was thinking 168gr up to 240gr just for B.C. still learning.So I'm looking to you fellows (experts to me) to guide me down this new path.If you will.Please.

thanks timmy

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Timmy i would talk to Barney LAwton at lawtonbarrels.com and get a 30" 10 twist cut rifled 6 groove barrel off him. I would go with the largest barrel diameter you could fit onto the rifle i would look a 1.250" for 6" the taper it to 1" at 30" now i know you will say the barrel nut will not work have the barrel fitted without the barrel nut and have it trued aswell at the same time. The more area you can have around the chamber will help you with pressure and extraction on the upper level of loads.

Forget about the 168gr projectiles start at 210gr and go to 240gr. Barney has informed me that the 240gr Sierra Will stabalise out of his 10 twist barrels at around 2850+.
Get a thicker recoil lug fitted i think SSS makes them asd sels them. If you are looking for it mainly for target shooting talk to Joel Russo about his laminated stocks he has a direct copy of the A5 then a larger copy of it for the Chey-Tac action this is the one i would go with if i was you as it is a bit stronger. Then he has a F Class/Benchrest stock that is awsome if you are only going to be shooting it at targets and he has another new stock that is very good for target shooting and long range hunting.

I do have a question on what size the barrel threads are on your action if it is the early small thread action have the threads opened up inside the action to as large as safly possible if it could go to 1.062" the same as a remington it would be much better for accuracy and safety.

I hope this helped

Cheers Bill
Australia

I am in the process of building a rifle for a coustomer to shoot them at that velocity it is also to be a switch barrel rifle.

Hi just square the action up and have a larger barrel fitted in the conventional way a Remington or similar action would be fitted with the recoil lug sandwidged between the action and barrel and dont use the barrel nut. Your rifle should be fine and shoot very well. The other decision is wether you want to make it single shot or a repeter its your choice just make sure you know the longest magazene length available to you for the RUM so you can have the chamber throated for the 240gr Sierra to be touching the lande and still fit in the mag. IF it is going to be single shot make it as long as possible only have 2/3 of the neck in contact with the projectile back to the boat tail/ bearing surface junction.

Cheers Bill
Australia

My LRPV actions also have the l.120" thread diameter. If you thread a 1.250" or 1.240" barrel shank that leaves very little shoulder to seat the barrel to the action/lug? Am I missing something as I'm wanting to do the same?

You would have enough of a shoulder if the barrel is fitted well but you can also get a barrel up to 1.280" from Lawton for no extra charge. Other than that you can get a barrel 1.350" that will match the outside diameter of the action. or you can have it anywhere in between.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.