Thoughts on a new sheep rifle

27 Gap

Looking for feedback on a rifle I'm having built; getting into sheep hunting.

Specs:

27 Nosler
Manners MCS-T Elite (Carbon Fiber)
20" Bartlein 1:8.5
Timney Trigger
Custom Action

Any downsides there other than weight? (It'll come in at ~10 lbs).

How can a 20" barreled sheep rifle, with CF stock, weigh in at 10 lbs? Even with huge scope..... if I were getting into sheep hunting (which if I'm reading between the lines means that more than one), then I'd be darn sure to build something lighter than 10 lbs.

My 7RM 22" proof with CF stockys and VX6 6-24 weighs 9 lbs with stock pack and 8 rnds

An off the shelf Tikka lightweight with a quality scope is all you need. Most sheep are not shot at super long range. Spend the money on a gym membership and ammo for shooting at unknown ranges off improvised rests up an down hill. Nobody seems to be amazed that JOC killed a lot of sheep with a low tech 270 and low x scopes. Given all the $ poured into equipment today, one wonders why ? Clearly hopelessly obsolete !

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.03.38 PM.jpg

Here is mine and I love it
Elite EH1 carbon fiber
Mesa TI short action
22 in proof sendero
7mm SAUM 175 berger EH at 2750fps
ADL bottom metal
Calvin elite trigger
Swarovski Z5 3.5x18 calibrated turret
Ti muzzle break of my own design

7lb 14 oz with a sling and 3 rounds of ammo

You should easily be able to get under 10 lbs...I agree the Nosler is a lot of case for a 20 in barrel--I'd go with a borden med action and 270 WSM. If I wanted a 270...

Last edited:
Barrel seems a bit short for a magnum round. Not sure how much performance you're loosing. Personally I might lean towards 270wsm if you want a 27 cal. Faster burning powder might be better in a short barrel.

But hey that's my opinion

That's a good point and something I considered, but could use a second set of eyes on. In this article there was a 196 ft/s loss when they cut down the barrel by 6" on a 190 grain bullet in a 300 win mag (avg 32.7 ft/inch/second).

The 27 Nosler is effectively a 300 win mag casing, but let's say we're using 150 grain rounds and we acknowledge that the .277 bullet is a little sleeker than the 190 grainer .30 caliber. Reasonably I'm guessing that'll buy me 8 ft/second for an average loss of 25 ft/second. @6 inches that's 150 ft/second out of the barrel.

Nosler published the 150 grain round at 3300 ft/second out of a 26" barrel, which would net me 3150 assuming faster powder and better loading didn't make up the difference.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
An off the shelf Tikka lightweight with a quality scope is all you need. Most sheep are not shot at super long range. Spend the money on a gym membership and ammo for shooting at unknown ranges off improvised rests up an down hill. Nobody seems to be amazed that JOC killed a lot of sheep with a low tech 270 and low x scopes. Given all the $ poured into equipment today, one wonders why ? Clearly hopelessly obsolete !

View attachment 189092
Tikka makes a great rifle. How do you think they compare to Winchesters?

How can a 20" barreled sheep rifle, with CF stock, weigh in at 10 lbs? Even with huge scope..... if I were getting into sheep hunting (which if I'm reading between the lines means that more than one), then I'd be darn sure to build something lighter than 10 lbs.

My 7RM 22" proof with CF stockys and VX6 6-24 weighs 9 lbs with stock pack and 8 rnds

The barrel contour I'm looking at is a little heaver. Traded 6" of barrel for a long action weight wise.

Tikka vs Winchester ? Both good, depends what features you want.

Sheep are usually killed with shot #1. No need for heavy bbl. Killed mine @280 yds, prone over a backpack.

Practice off improvised rests at unknown distances is the most important skill.

My rifle is dead on 1st shot, 2 more = 1.5 MOA.

Here are the specs on my 280 remington:

700LA trued/bolt fluted/aluminum bolt shroud
McM Game Scout edge fill
ADL
Jewell trigger
Bartlein 2b 1:9tw 23.5" plus muzzle break
Talley lightweights
Leupold 4.5-14x long range

Likes RL19 and 160AB the best.

On my bathroom scale its right in between the 7lb and 8lb marks

Attachments

• 3D908F9F-3995-4CEA-8BB6-7735BBAAA370.jpeg
    3D908F9F-3995-4CEA-8BB6-7735BBAAA370.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 241
Zero chance I'd build a sheep rifle that would go 10 lbs all ready to roll (sling, rounds etc) and zero chance I'd do a 20" barrel either. As much as I like the shorter barrels unless you're going suppressed I wouldn't deal with the bark.

No reason for one to go over 8 lbs on this outfit.

Where and when is your hunt?

Got a 6.5 Weatherby built by McWhorter. Weighs 7.8 pounds with scope. Shooting 140 Berger at 3250. Think will draw in Wyoming next year if things are normal and it is my gun.

That sounds like a nice rig! How many points do you have in Wyo?

I would suggest a 6.5 or 7mm flat shooting cartridge. Higher BC with good velocity.
6.5 PRC, 26 Nosler, 6.5 Wby, 7mm Rem Mag/Wby Mag/WSM or 28 Nosler. Problem is cutting weight with a long magnum cartridge. Possibly a Ti action and carbon fiber stock.
The lighter the better, so might need a brake depending on the final weight.
Scope... 4.5-14 or higher magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts