Thoughts on 270 wsm.

I went though allot of attempts to get some 140 SST's to shoot but I could never get them under 1.5in groups, I thought they would work good but my gun has proven very picky. It shoots consistantly around 1/2 MOA if I do my part, the one's that don't work shoot 1.5 or 3 in groups, it's very consitant in group size depending on the bullet. I would like to see what some 150 and 130's would do but I have to concentrate my effforts on the highest probabilities and with my twist rate I top out at 140's.

I have heard some real good stuff about the Tikka's in the 270 WSM and know a couple guys with them

oh really,
maybe try the others like you said see what happens, sometimes depending on the contour of your barrel it can dictate which bullets it likes best,
thinner barrels are usually harder to find the right combo for an accurate load due to vibrations,lighter bullets usually being a better match , as opposed to heavier contour barrels which are generally less fussy what you feed them,
what cases are you loading your bullets in? a couple of grains variation in case weight/capacity can cause pressure spikes resulting in unexplained flyers which can be detremental to ones accuracy let alone ones sanity!

I'm using Remington brass with best results, Winchesters have been crap! I have just about worn out the remy brass and was looking at some Norma but I don't know yet. Brass is all trimmed and to length and necks turned for 2 thousands neck tention and primer pockets uniformed and debured. The remy brass has been excellent. I don't get fliers just the groups change size. I have had a fun time getting it dialed in as I really like to shoot. I try to shoot 20-40 rounds a week at different ranges out to 1200 yds so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.