Thoughts on 264WM vs 6.5 PRC for new rifle build/buy?

Fair enough, but I've barbecued the Shilen barrel on my Savage in about a year. She still shoots, but there are ominous signs, including 12 lbs of missing H1000, that lead me to believe she's on the outs. If the burden is split across two rifles though, I'm sure each would last twice as long.

Even 3000 fps with a ≥ 0.65 B.C. bullet would reach out all I need or want for this particular tool.
It sounds like you enjoy shooting not just hunting, I'm the same way and would personally never go with a 6.5 that's as inefficient as the 264 wm.

You can easily run a 140 3100 fps in a 6.5 PRC from a 26" barrel, I've seen it done with H1000.

Loading a 264 light won't buy you much for increased barrel life, and in my experience magnums usually don't shoot well when loaded down.

You're investing in a new build, don't get hung up on saving a few bucks on brass.
Speaking of which..
The PRC has the advantage of ADG brass, and doesn't have a belt !

Holy smokes. That's ~150-200 fps faster than the 264WM data for a 140 gr from Nosler's and Hodgden's websites. 3000 fps in 6.5 seems high too based on the same sources.

If that's the case, I'd be inclined to run the 264 at mild speeds around 3000 fps or so.

Hornadya own published load data has rl26 at 3050 with a 147 in the PRC, and multiple powders at 3k

They'll both be fine, but you can always sell the brass on here if you don't want the win mag.

I've tried the 7mm down to 264 and didn't have a lot of luck. The 264 is my most liked caliber. I have 3 rifles in that caliber, so myself I'd go 264 mag. If you would like to unload your brass I would like to buy it. I put a pic of a 1000 yard group i shot with one of my rifles.

Attachments

• 15597481006243324750573989522432.jpg
    15597481006243324750573989522432.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
I'm another that really enjoys his 264 WM. Shooting the LRAB @ 3250 and .5" groups consistently. I don't shoot it hot. No reason to get to the re-barrel point any faster than I have to on a hunting rifle. As it is, I have just over 500 rounds down the barrel.
I honestly don't think the steel, paper, or game animal will know the difference between a 14x gr bullet traveling at 3000 fps and 3250 fps.
The PRC is 'new' but there are possibly other cartridges that will do about the same thing in the same caliber out there.
Bottom line, at least for me, is don't chase the 'new shiny' out there unless you are going to seriously compete. And even then, just pick a caliber/cartridge and go to town.

ADG also makes 7mm Rem Mag brass, which is easily necked down for .264 WM. No advantage there.
Except that the PRC wouldn't need necked down, potentially neck turned etc..
And there's no BS with working around that retarded belt

Seems like the consensus is to go with the 264, which is where I was leaning.

Will be doing some research, but in my "dream world", I'd like to get the 147 ELD (or wallet forbid, the A-Tip) going around 2950-3000 in a 24" barrel. From what you've all said, this should be easily doable at less than max.

Seems like typical COAL for the 264 is shorter than the 300WM, despite the same SAAMI maximum. If this is the case, then I'll likely rebarrel my savage, as it only has a 3.5" mag box, which limits the 300WM to single loading. Maybe I can keep a 264 in the 3.5" mag, and still be able to run near the lands if needed.

Could someone measure the OAL and tip length of the 147 ELD and/or 153 A-Tip (unlikely, I know) if you have one? Would be nice to get some numbers on stability for twist rate.

If I may add something to the conversation, which would you choose for 22-24 inch barrel??

The 6.5 PRC is a better choice for a shorter barrel
Except that the PRC wouldn't need necked down, potentially neck turned etc..
And there's no BS with working around that retarded belt

Necked down is the same operation as sizing between firings, which is required with the PRC, just like any other cartridge in existence. It doesn't require neck turning, only a case trim. Also a standard reloading operation. Again, NO ADVANTAGE.

If the absence of a belt is a selling point to you, be one with your bad self. It is clearly not a disqualifier to the OP.

Seems like the consensus is to go with the 264, which is where I was leaning.

Will be doing some research, but in my "dream world", I'd like to get the 147 ELD (or wallet forbid, the A-Tip) going around 2950-3000 in a 24" barrel. From what you've all said, this should be easily doable at less than max.

Seems like typical COAL for the 264 is shorter than the 300WM, despite the same SAAMI maximum. If this is the case, then I'll likely rebarrel my savage, as it only has a 3.5" mag box, which limits the 300WM to single loading. Maybe I can keep a 264 in the 3.5" mag, and still be able to run near the lands if needed.

Could someone measure the OAL and tip length of the 147 ELD and/or 153 A-Tip (unlikely, I know) if you have one? Would be nice to get some numbers on stability for twist rate.

My sendero 264 WM:

BTS 2.113"
BTL 2.760" 143 ELDX
BTL 2.777" 147 ELDM
BTO 2.750" .010" J 143 ELDX
BTO 2.767" 147 ELDM
COAL 3.355" 143 gr ELD-X Touching
COAL 3.375" 147 gr ELD-M Touching

They both run fine at the factory twist rate. 1:9"
If you want to entertain shooting heavier, you'll want to bump that accordingly

ETA: forgot to mention your Mag box will be fine.

Seems another "selling" point would be the overall kindness, good nature, and helpfulness of fellow 264 Win Mag shooters.

Ohh and don't let anyone tell you the belt is worthless and does nothing. That's ignorance talking. It's first job is to set headspace on initial firing of the case. It's second job is to assist with headspace in a symbiotic relationship with the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.