Thoughts on 175 LRAB for BC spot and stalk hunt

Were using the 175 ablr in 280ai and 7 saums running them over 3000 fps and had very good results close and far in elk and deer. Got exits on elk at over 600 yards with good internal damage and none went over 30 yards! Tested them in 24" bundle of wet newspaper bundled very tight at 100 yards and got exit. 175 elite hunter only make it half way. Exploded. At 600 yards thru elk hide and ballistic gel got a lot of penetration and good weight retention. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot bear with them at close range. Also very accurate in my light weight 280 ai at 1000 yards. Shoot good in several 7 saums also. Recovered bullet from 600 yard gel test!

Attachments

• 7BC87987-4BE9-49AE-8F36-E7DF745A1550.jpeg
    7BC87987-4BE9-49AE-8F36-E7DF745A1550.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
Thanks for the link. Here's another: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/83865

I have not tried the 175 LRAB myself but I have thought about it. I'm using an old 700 LSS 7mm rem mag with Remington's standard 1:9.25 twist barrel ... not sure if it is worth it to me vs. the 160AB and 162SST which both shoot really well for me.

Hopefully this is not off topic too much from OP - Anyone having success with the 175ABLR or similar bullets in 7mm's with 9.25-9.5 twist barrels?

I think the 175 LRAB will do you just fine, and of course the 160 Accu will as would the 160 Partition.

Pick a good bullet, plan to get within 300 or so and make a good clean hit. Plan on taking one shot, and make it perfect. If you botch it, more than likely you won't find the game.

600 on elk in open country with a good shooting nest, fine no problem.

600 on a bruin (and I know that's not the discussion here) but IMO that's just down right silly to do and I could use much stronger words:)

I saw this article a few years ago and thought it was pretty good - I was and still am a huge berger fan and still shoot them Often. This article is what pushed me into giving the eldx a try.

Good read, thanks for posting. I had kind of written off the eldx when I wasn't able to get the 162 to shoot as well as the 160 regular accubond.... then started reading about the separations. May have to give the 175 a try though.

Good info, thanks for taking the time. I would have thought with a bonded bullet penetration would have been a little better over 2400.
Me too. But what the ABLR does extremely well is expand at low velocity. Where as Bergers and ELDs tend to like at least 1800 FPS to expand, I have seen full expansion from ABLR as low as 1500 FPS. (Fire forming brass in a 7wsm shot them into both gel and a deer carcass I shot doing crop management)

the ABLR expands lower than anything I've found. That can't really extend the range you can hunt with. For example my 7wsm has full expansion to 1,010 yards (above 1800 FPS) with 180 ELDm.

That same gun shooting 175 ABLR I have 1,260 yards before it falls below 1500 FPS. So the ABLR has quite a disadvantage over the ELDm in regards to BC but due to its design it is lethal further.

Thanks for the link. Here's another: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/83865

I have not tried the 175 LRAB myself but I have thought about it. I'm using an old 700 LSS 7mm rem mag with Remington's standard 1:9.25 twist barrel ... not sure if it is worth it to me vs. the 160AB and 162SST which both shoot really well for me.

Hopefully this is not off topic too much from OP - Anyone having success with the 175ABLR or similar bullets in 7mm's with 9.25-9.5 twist barrels?
I had the same question about a month ago myself. Came across some 175ablr priced REALLY good but noticed they recommended 1:9 or faster so I called tech support at nosler. his name escapes me but the tech was top notch helpful and a 7mmRM enthusiast himself. He looked up their test data and said it showed some success with 1:9.25 but at their 4000ish ft altitude. He thought it would work at my 425' above sea level IF I could get enough speed behind it. For what it's worth I asked him what HIS load was.....he answered the 168g ABLR.

I shot one this spring that taped out just over 6ft 300lbs. Shot with a 143gr eldx out of my PRC at 280 yards. One shot complete pass through. He did a back flip and leaped 5 yards and piled up against a log. Have killed elk, mulies, bears etc with the 143gr eldx - it has never let me down. My bro in law and his fam were so impressed 4 of them are loading the 162 eldx in their 7mm's this year.
Did you get a video of the back flip and pile up? My most acrobatic kill was a .22 headshot of a fox. I prefer "dropping like a load of bricks," but you never know :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts