Thoughts on 175 LRAB for BC spot and stalk hunt

I shot the same bullet out of my custom 7RM and at 600 yards, they did all kinds of scattering and dropped 8 inches below predictions.
At 200 they were stellar. I believe they were just not stabilizing or losing stability down range. These were running at 2920 and an 8.5 twist. I was simply doing a drop test to confirm ballistics.
I had to go back to a known 1000 yard bullet I was trying to replace with the LRAB.
If you do load these up for development, shoot it long to see how they perform. Don't accept 200 or even 300 yard groups. Stretch it out.
Orange target at 200. First low left cold and clean, second 2 touching. 200 yards.
On card board target, these were a neck tension test at 600. 8" low and scattered, 3 separate groups. One group was a test standard of loaded ammo that I hunted with, nothing done. The other 2 groups were pulled about .1 and re-seated. The last group, pulled out completely, re-necked with the same bushing die, and seated. No difference in CBTO measurement in all three tests, at .090 off lands.
Yeah, shocked is my only response.
Your results may be stellar.
Again, shoot at your max distance expected, assumed.
May be a bad lot in my box. I don't care to buy more.

Attachments

• 20200508_120243.jpg
    20200508_120243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
  • 20200508_120152.jpg
    20200508_120152.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 351
  • 20200508_120203.jpg
    20200508_120203.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 345
Thanks for the insight. That's concerning with mine being a 1:9.
What bullet did you go back to? I have a load developed with a 160 accubond but wanted to try something a little heavier if possible.

Berger for now. 180 Vld hunting. You may be fine with the 160 "Accubond". The "Accubond LR" apparently their BC was not correct. But with stability thrown in was a deal killer.
Maybe look at Berger 175 Elite Hunter. Lance T Kenyon on this site uses them. He knows what he's talking about. Good guy.

Black Bear hunt postponed until 2021, now have too much time to overthink bullet. Anyone have experience with the 175 LRAB out of a 7RM at around 2850.
We shoot them with 243's and 6.5's. The 175 out of a 7RM will be fine. If you decide to go a different direction, I have had excellent results with ELDX bullets.

Last edited:
I shoot the 175 ABLR out of my 1-9 7mm. Shoot great groups to 600. I'm pushing them closer to 3000 and it's well below moa. Typically 1/4 when I do my part. I have them out to 3.310" in front of RL22. I've been tweaking my dads RUM so I haven't had the time to play with it beyond that.

Sorry about your hunt. Dad and I are dealing with pushing our hunts back due to current issues.

I shoot the 175 ABLR out of my 1-9 7mm. Shoot great groups to 600. I'm pushing them closer to 3000 and it's well below moa. Typically 1/4 when I do my part. I have them out to 3.310" in front of RL22. I've been tweaking my dads RUM so I haven't had the time to play with it beyond that.

Sorry about your hunt. Dad and I are dealing with pushing our hunts back due to current issues.

Good to hear you have had a better experience loading them. Seems you hear both ends of the spectrum with them.

It's frustrating, but all's good. Hope you guys are still able to get your hunts in this year.

How big are the bears you guys are shooting and are you getting exits with the ELDX?
I shot one this spring that taped out just over 6ft 300lbs. Shot with a 143gr eldx out of my PRC at 280 yards. One shot complete pass through. He did a back flip and leaped 5 yards and piled up against a log. Have killed elk, mulies, bears etc with the 143gr eldx - it has never let me down. My bro in law and his fam were so impressed 4 of them are loading the 162 eldx in their 7mm's this year.

The ABLRs need to jump to the lands. My 28 Nosler loads are jumping .125" to the lands. I shoot 1/2 to 2/3s MOA out 800yards. Found the same for my 6.5WSM and Creedmoor. Being bonded they are a great choice for a hunting bullet. I water jugged them from 1600FPS to 3300FPS. They expanded nicely all through the spectrum. They'll be loaded in my guns this fall for elk and deer.

I've had good results with the LRAB as well as the ELDm and ELDx line. I can tell no difference in game between the two. The 175 Berger is also fairly impressive. The LRAB is constructed nothing like the regular accubond. Despite its big jump in sectional density the 160 accubond is much much tougher. Pass throughs on white tails with the LRAB only happens for me under 2400 FPS with the 175s. Above that it's going to a be Avery shallow very explosive wound.

I thought this was going to be a spot & stalk hunt. Where does 600 yards enter the equation? Just asking.

I would hope it doesn't enter the equation for me while bear hunting. Mr. Wright just mentioned he had issues with the bullet stabilizing at that distance. While,for me, that distance, hunting an animal I haven't hunted before, is out of my comfort zone... it's useful information for me developing a load and working out to those distances and beyond.

I've had good results with the LRAB as well as the ELDm and ELDx line. I can tell no difference in game between the two. The 175 Berger is also fairly impressive. The LRAB is constructed nothing like the regular accubond. Despite its big jump in sectional density the 160 accubond is much much tougher. Pass throughs on white tails with the LRAB only happens for me under 2400 FPS with the 175s. Above that it's going to a be Avery shallow very explosive wound.
Good info, thanks for taking the time. I would have thought with a bonded bullet penetration would have been a little better over 2400.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts