Thoughts of rebarreling rem 700 pss in 223 to 223 Wylde

JimFromTN

I have an older model rem 700pss in 223 rem that I have been considering rebarreling to 223 wylde. The first question people ask is why. There are 2 reasons for this. The first being that I want to be able to safely shoot both 223 and 556. The 2nd is that although I can put 5 rds of cheap pmc ammo in a dime at 100 yds, I can only do it with 55 gr bullets. If I try to shoot anything heavier, the bullets start flying everywhere. Just jumping to 62gr, I have a hard time keeping a 4 inch group and 70grs I have a hard time keeping it on the paper.

That all being said, I was looking at doing it myself with a remage barrel. Has anyone done this? Am I risking losing accuracy? Pros vs Cons? I read where the 223 wylde is more accurate shooting 223's than shooting out of a 556 chamber but how does it compare to a 223 chamber? I could just rebarrel with another 223 rem in a 1-8 rate of twist. Any advantage to that over the wylde?

I have a 223 PSS LTR. It still has the factory barrel but is definitely showing signs of needing to be replaced. I'll be going with a 8 twist 223 or 223AI when I do. Also mine has shot well with 70 grain and below bullets with some load development but every barrel is different. Based on what you said, wanting to shoot bullets in the 70ish grain weight and shoot 223 and 556, the wylde would be the way to go. If you handload you will be able to get as much accuracy out of the wylde as a regular 223 but be able to run 556 ammo too. The Wylde has a Hybrid throat/freebore design that allows the higher pressure of the 556 to run safely but still get good accuracy out of 223

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.