Thoughts for pre-64 Model 70 upgrades

Proper stock with stress-free bedding can bring this thing to new life...won't detract from value; you will always have it's existing for future originality if that is a concern.

^^^ You had me right up to #5.

Good reply, but what's wrong with #5. When I first started using pre 64 rifles every rifle I used had a metal buttplate. One unfortunate day I had my favorite rifle slip out of a case, fell on a concrete floor and chipped the toe. I had to cut the stock and install a recoil pad and that was the best thing that ever happened to me. My groups size improved and I could enjoy shooting more rounds. Now every rifle I have has a Pachmayr pad. Also, the worst thing for a hunter is to have a stock that is too long. I know today many shooters that shoot targets from the prone position like a long length of pull but as a hunter I never shoot prone and don't want the stock catching on my hunting coat when I shoulder the rifle. Looking forward to you're response.

Personal preference. I like to keep the original appearance of my classics and I don't mind the solid buttplates as most of my hunting is done in cold weather with lots of clothes to impact recoil. IMO cutting the stock to install an aftermarket pad would be tragic.

Most mine are topped with period correct Bausch and Lomb Balvar scopes with external adjustments on the bases. Kentucky windage and holdover when required.

Most mine are topped with period correct Bausch and Lomb Balvar scopes with external adjustments on the bases. Kentucky windage and holdover when required.

Those Bausch and Lomb Balvar 8 scopes were top of the line in the late 1950's and 1960's and although I don't own one I look at them with fondness. When I was in my teens and early 20's I spent a lot of time with a Government hunter who had a Model 70 with a Bolvar 8 and I loved to shoot it. In fact, at that time we could hunt turkeys with a rifle and I took 2 big Rio Grande toms with his rifle. It had a 25-06 barrel installed by Flag's in Millvale, Pennsylvania. That was before Remington standardized the 25-06. I had a chance to buy that very rifle about 2 months ago and I made an offer but haven't heard back.