Thoughts for next build

jessegibson1978

Would like opinions for a lite weight deer rifle under 300 yards. Would like 22" barrel length short action. So question is what caliber would like to try something in 6.5 . So which one. Thanks for any help .

Good old fashioned 308. Tika, 6 lug Weatherby.

Tue reason I said the 6 lug is that it is light weight but can be adjusted to take long seated bullets.

In a short action the .260 Remington, or 6.5 Creedmoor would be my pick.

A lot of good 6.5's out there including the 6.5x55. Finding rifles chambered for them isn't always easy.

For me the difference in all of them is outweighed by a suitable rifle. Find a rifle you like, and go with it.

I have a short action 700 in 22-250 barrel is headed south so I'm wanting something short and lite for deer. What kind of velocity could I expect from 6.5-284 with 22" tube.

My choice in 6.5s would be the 260 rem (308 or 7/08 necked down) or the 6.5 x 47 Lapua.

There are other good cartridges in 6.5 to chose from but for what you want these would be my choices. a 7/08 is also ideal for your use if a 7mm was an option.

All of these will work well in a 20 to 22'' barrel.

J E CUSTOM

Just want to stay around 2900-3000 don't want faster afraid of bullet failure at close range. Pushed some 25 cal to hard worked great 400-600 blew apart at 200 or less not fun.

Yep if I do the 6.5-284 I will throat it for seating the bullet deep to keep it feeding since this rifle will be for shorter range don't need the extra powder in the case from seating long.

If you are hunting in brush you may want to go with a larger caliber then the 6.5. I shoot a 264WM for open country but in the brush a 338 federal which is good out to around 400 yards and is good in the brush. There is a lot of good calibers out there for the range you are talking. The 6.5 Remington Magnum is another good one for using 130 or 140 gr bullets.

Going for very lite recoil in a lite rifle. The reason for this is to get something for my kids to hunt with fall of 2016 my oldest will be 6 then he can go on the youth hunts in TN. So I'm kind of wanting to stay small fix 2 stocks one for me one for the kids I will put a brake on it as well. Just thinking ahead he is always wanting to go with me so I figure I will fix something up for him and little brother.

Going for very lite recoil in a lite rifle. The reason for this is to get something for my kids to hunt with fall of 2016 my oldest will be 6 then he can go on the youth hunts in TN. So I'm kind of wanting to stay small fix 2 stocks one for me one for the kids I will put a brake on it as well. Just thinking ahead he is always wanting to go with me so I figure I will fix something up for him and little brother.
I wasn't thinking kids so that would open another line of thought which would include their size and you sure don't want to start the flinch mod due to recoil. My son has a 9 year old daughter and after hours of comparing recoil with different cartridges we decided that the 243 is the best to start youth on for a deer rifle. Ammo is easy to get for the 243 also. In Washington the 243 is the smallest caliber that can be used for deer. I have seen people shoot bull elk with it also. But that is where bullet placement comes in. The best training in the world for youth shooters is with the 22LR with peep sights. Before going to the deer rifle. Lots of time on the range with competition targets will develop good shooting habits.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.