Thought I came across a great deal

Iron Worker

Going PD hunting and need to hand load 500rnds+ 223 ammo. At Sportsmens Warehouse they had HBR ammo 400 rounds of 223 Lake city brass 60 gr V-Max bullet for $179 . Posted velocity of 3035 out of 24" bbl. Always curious to what weight of powder charge of factory ammo. So I pulled a bullet and it contained 22grs of some type of ball powder. Called up HBR today and asked if they stand by their velocity reports they said yes,but connected me to ballistics tech. He wasn't around so i left message and they said he always returns calls . Told clerk at gun counter ,he said " They have their own blend of powder " Well going out tonight to shoot a few rounds through a chronograph . So any one have any predictions out of 20" AR-15 ? I think I'll be lucking if I get 2800 FPS . Oh I read reviews on this ammo before purchasing and 5 stars for 5 reviews stating under MOA at 100yards .

I won't be surprised if you get that kinda speed if they actually get it in rifles. With my specialty pistols I normally see 250-300fps less than a full length rifle tube an they have 14-18" barrels.

Aaron

Well it was to windy to set up the Chrono 15-20MPH wind gust. But not to windy to test their accuracy claims . 105 yds first 5 shots in heavy wind and that ammo grouped well. Then adjusted sights and set up full soda pop cans at 150 yards and dang it I blew every one up ( Shooting off a bench ) then got back on target and shot the rest of ammo . That ammo grouped at about MOA . Very impressed . Also spoke with factory rep,wouldn't tell me type of powder ,but looked up LOT # and said we test for velocity every 1,000 rounds and were getting about 3,000 in 24" bbl. I wouldn't doubt it that i'm getting 2900 FPS . This ammo will be just fine for prairie dogs. So thumbs up for HBR ammo out of AZ

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts