Thors Hammer Thundered!

You and my son would TOTALLY UNBEARABLE if together! He actually told me to move one of my Burly's so he could get deer in frame when I was sitting behind head! WTH are you guys talking behind my back!?šŸ˜‚
Nope...both just naturally smart enough to know how Not to ruin a great picture...unless of course your intent was to advertise for "BIGFOOT" magazine! Or....YETI'S INCORPORATED! ......šŸ˜‰

Gotta say, this was one if the best shots I have made. He came out of a swamp 230 yds and immediately kicked up a gear to fast pacer style walk trot. Got on him fast, tracked him, when crosshair hit front edge of shoulder, unleashed the 156HH šŸ˜‚. He was about 240+ when I shot. Never adjusted elevation for 200 yard zero. He took off and disappeared about 200 yards into hedgerow. I was bewildered he didn't drop after 100+ yards. When I tried to pick up his trail, found nothing for 30 minutes. I was off the mark where I actually hit him by about 30 yds. Once I got blood, it was follow the yellow brick road! He was spraying for entire way! These bigger bucks just defy logic on how far they can go. It was perfect shot double lungs. He had nothing but bloody goop in his chest cavity. Seriously, its amazing how tough the bigger bucks are and how far they can go on nothing! The exit hole was about 3/4" and just crazy what was in his chest cavity, bloody heavy molasses type syrup is best description. He dropped in hedgerow just out of sight.View attachment 314677View attachment 314678
Great buck, congrats!

Can I ask what cartridge? My Fierce 300 WM shoots Barnes 190 LRX really. Steve at Hammer suggests I try the 166 HH.

This was first animal taken with the .270 Win that was renamed in a thread on LRH .270 Thors Hammer (.270TH) based upon crazy velocity it achieved with the 156HH. It topped out at 3284 with RL26 and the settled load was 3200. This rifle build was fraught with speed bumps along the way but it finally came together and performed way above expectations for me and pretty much everyone else. Its a 700 LA, trued by Penrod Precision, 27" Light Palma contour, 0.290 freebore added to accommodate the 156HH so 3 baring bands were seated in case to allow 0.20 off lands. 5R and 1:8 twist. Holland heavy recoil lug, Triggertech trigger, Magpul stock. This setup allows max COAL of 3.63 so plenty of case space for longer heavier higher BC bullets.

Gotta say, this was one if the best shots I have made. He came out of a swamp 230 yds and immediately kicked up a gear to fast pacer style walk trot. Got on him fast, tracked him, when crosshair hit front edge of shoulder, unleashed the 156HH šŸ˜‚. He was about 240+ when I shot. Never adjusted elevation for 200 yard zero. He took off and disappeared about 200 yards into hedgerow. I was bewildered he didn't drop after 100+ yards. When I tried to pick up his trail, found nothing for 30 minutes. I was off the mark where I actually hit him by about 30 yds. Once I got blood, it was follow the yellow brick road! He was spraying for entire way! These bigger bucks just defy logic on how far they can go. It was perfect shot double lungs. He had nothing but bloody goop in his chest cavity. Seriously, its amazing how tough the bigger bucks are and how far they can go on nothing! The exit hole was about 3/4" and just crazy what was in his chest cavity, bloody heavy molasses type syrup is best description. He dropped in hedgerow just out of sight.View attachment 314677View attachment 314678
I envy you! I have never even set my eyes on one that big. Congrats! Rich

On the 166 HH for 300 WM -- this will be for an elk hunt.

I would also suggest trying the 196HH for the 300WM. I have Sendero 300WM 26" barrel that shoots the 196 at 3150fps and 1/2 MOA. This load is my pure elk load since the energy difference is significant from 166 vs the 196. Granted recoil goes up quite a bit but I like bigger bullets for elk. The 166HH will be laser though!! Even the 180HH is a screamer out of the 300WM with RL26. I was hitting close to 3300fps out of same rifle.

I would also suggest trying the 196HH for the 300WM. I have Sendero 300WM 26" barrel that shoots the 196 at 3150fps and 1/2 MOA. This load is my pure elk load since the energy difference is significant from 166 vs the 196. Granted recoil goes up quite a bit but I like bigger bullets for elk. The 166HH will be laser though!! Even the 180HH is a screamer out of the 300WM with RL26. I was hitting close to 3300fps out of same rifle.
Thanks Muddy. Steve also suggested the 196 HH as well. This gun loves the 190 LRX, 0.25 MOA, but suspect terminal ballistics with the Hammers may be an improvement.

Awesome buck!!!!!! I shot a doe this year at 40 yds with a 356 Winchester and she ran off like nothing happened. I thought I blew the shot so swung on her at about 80 yds and fired again. At least on the 2nd shot, her tail dropped. She trotted out of site (+150 yds) and she wobbled a hair before she disappeared over the horizon. Turns out both shots hit boiler room - massive exit wounds, no lungs left, heart hit. She (all 100 lbs of her) still made it about 200 yds from first shot to dropping dead. They don't have to be big bucks to go far after a sound hit. It is just amazing sometimes!

Attachments

• H - 15348.jpg
    H - 15348.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 63
  • H - 15349.jpg
    H - 15349.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 67