Thoroughbred Rifles - New One Mile Rifle

Thanks for the good words Jay. I look forward to shooting your first match.

Dale

Last edited:
Sounds like ya'll had a great event, should have given me a call and I'd have come over to watch if possible.

As for experts, I wouldn't worry about it. I've met a lot of experts in many fields and one thing I find that is unanimous with them is that none of them spend any time telling me they are experts.

Other people do that for them.

Out of 57 shooters, we had 25 first round hits. We had 16 shooters that made a second round hit. That is 72% of the shooters that made a hit from 1780 yards. Since the shoot, myself and clients have routinely cold bored the one mile target during training sessions. The rifle is repeatable and accurate. northtexasrifleprecision.freeforums.org • View topic - NTRP Vortex Optics TVSO - Final
Jay just curious. Out of those 25 cold bore "hitters" at one mile how many were shooting rifles that you've built?

I did some looking around on your BBS at the pictures and videos. Looks like you had quite a bunch of serious shooters present, and from the look of it, all had a great time.

I'm also curious about your experience with Dallas Custom Reloads. I've talked to them a time or two and have considered getting them to do some loading for me until I get set back up to do it for myself.

Jay just curious. Out of those 25 cold bore "hitters" at one mile how many were shooting rifles that you've built?

I did some looking around on your BBS at the pictures and videos. Looks like you had quite a bunch of serious shooters present, and from the look of it, all had a great time.

I'm also curious about your experience with Dallas Custom Reloads. I've talked to them a time or two and have considered getting them to do some loading for me until I get set back up to do it for myself.

I'm not a rifle builder. Nothing on my site/thread/bio says I am. They all shot the Thoroughbred Rifle that Dale built that was dedicated for the one mile event.

Chad Haworth of Custom Reloads of Dallas and I have been shooting competitions together for years. I know him well.

I'm not a rifle builder. Nothing on my site/thread/bio says I am. They all shot the Thoroughbred Rifle that Dale built that was dedicated for the one mile event.

Chad Haworth of Custom Reloads of Dallas and I have been shooting competitions together for years. I know him well.
My mistake, I thought you were Dale HA!...

I've had a long three or four days and ran real short of sleep so maybe the fundamentals of reading are escapoing me tonight.

Hopefully Dale will chime in and answer my question.

I really appreciate your info on Chad. I've talked with him a time or two and he strikes me as someone I'd like to do some business with.

First hand info from someone who's known in a long time beats the hell out of first imprressions though.

I've spoke to Chad at Dallas Reloads a few times on the phone as well. He's been very helpful to me with load info/suggestions even though he knew I wasnt buying anything from him. He's a nice guy, and like Jay (NTRP), always willing to help.

The only guy at the match shooting a Thoroughbred besides the 300 RUM was myself. And I only shot the stages on Saturday so that I could help spot along with Chad for the one mile stage on Sunday morning.

The Thoroughbred Action is a combination of what I think are the best features of several of Stiller's actions. The overall quality of the action is a direct function of Stiller's attention to detail and all the action quality credit goes to them. I looked at a number of the different OEM actions that Stiller produces and chose what I thought were the key ingredients for accuracy. Stiller then filed an "exception" with the BATF for Thoroughbred Rifles LLC to be the "manufacturer of record" of the Thoroughbred Action. Prior to cutting a deal with Stiller four years ago, I prototyped on several different custom actions. I also discussed my thoughts, needs, desires with all but a couple of the custom action makers at the time and for numerous reasons settled on Stiller Precision. I really feel like I did my homework on the action decision and our rifles continue to validate that decision.

As for the number of comments on the piece of video on chambering, I cordially invite any and all to visit our humble little shop and watch me chamber. I've never had another smith watch me and comment and not benefitted from the experience. And as is obvious, I don't have any problems with even having clients video our work. I too hear the noise in the video and it also bothers me. Occasionally a chatter, resonance, rattle or the like occurs and I stop and check it out. What smith doesn't occasionally get a chatter? Problem is this one gets recorded and posted. Oh well. All I can say is I use copious amount of cutting fluid. I drill, bore and then ream the chamber, I withdraw the reamer after every .100, clear the chamber of chips, fill the chamber with cutting oil, clear the reamer of chips, re-oil the reamer and do it all again. I also re-measure the runout at numerous stops along the way to insure nothing has changed in the set-up. But the bottom line is that if anything at all gets screwed up along the way on a Thoroughbred Build, we eat it!!! It doesn't go out the door. It doesn't cost the client a dime. We have about 50 barrels in stock at any one time. In addition, I personally test each and every build to determine if the rifle meets our expectations of "half moa with factory ammo". If it doesn't, we diagnose and remedy the problem before the rifle ships. When one of our clients takes delivery of a Thoroughbred Rifle, it shoots small groups PERIOD!!!

Now as for the other equally critical component of any hyper accurate setup - the AMMUNITION. Chad Haworth at Custom Reloads of Dallas supplied the ammo for the mile event. Great rifles are just dead weight without superb ammunition. Granted, Jay and I developed and tuned the load but we then gave the recipe to Chad and he built the match ammo for the One Mile Event. To say that it was incredibly consistent is a huge understatement. The ammo was just as responsible for the success of the event as was the rifle. If you would like to view video of a bunch of the different competitors shooting the mile, go to this link and enjoy -

1 mile shooting this weekend! - Texas Hunting Forum

As always,
Best Regards to All
Dale

Thanks for posting up Dale. I don't own one of your rifles, but didn't know you were so close to me either. I'll give you a call.

I guess I'll put this to bed myself.

One of the people involved with the mile shoot just contacted me to correct a misconception.

All of the participants in the "mile shoot" shot the same rifle, a Thoroughbred .300 Rum build for the owner of Dallas Custom Reloads shooting his custom ammunition.

Seems Dale has managed to build at least one good rifle.gun)

I guess I'll put this to bed myself.

One of the people involved with the mile shoot just contacted me to correct a misconception.

All of the participants in the "mile shoot" shot the same rifle, a Thoroughbred .300 Rum build for the owner of Dallas Custom Reloads shooting his custom ammunition.

Seems Dale has managed to build at least one good rifle.gun)

The rifle was built for North Texas Rifle Precision as a dedicated rifle for the One Mile Tower. It also provides my clients who only have 1000 yard capabilities, to experience ELR.

Custom Reloads of Dallas sponsors the ammunition.

Yes, every shooter shot Dale's rifle in the one mile stage, which was 1 of 15 stages over a day and a half.

Now as for the other equally critical component of any hyper accurate setup - the AMMUNITION. Chad Haworth at Custom Reloads of Dallas supplied the ammo for the mile event. Great rifles are just dead weight without superb ammunition. Granted, Jay and I developed and tuned the load but we then gave the recipe to Chad and he built the match ammo for the One Mile Event. To say that it was incredibly consistent is a huge understatement. The ammo was just as responsible for the success of the event as was the rifle. If you would like to view video of a bunch of the different competitors shooting the mile, go to this link and enjoy -

As always,
Best Regards to All
Dale

Thanks Josh for starting this thread because it gave me a chance to look over a great rifle that obviously worked well with a number of different shooters. I enjoyed visiting your web site and revisiting the Thoroughbred Rifles site.

The most important potential resource identified in this thread for me is Custom Reloads of Dallas. A disability keeps me from being as involved with reloading as I'd like to be. However, a friend has worked up a load that shoots incredibly well in my rifle and I have been looking for a commercial/custom outfit that could duplicate my load on a moderate scale. I will be contacting Chad soon.

I'd say your first post brought a number of cool things and places right out front for all of us to read about, enjoy, and benefit from.

Good luck with your enterprise Josh and I look forward to reading future posts.

Matt

Dale built an awesome rifle. It truely is amazing that we are shooting a 30 caliber at the distance we are, and it be this accurate.

If anyone needs any help with reloading or ammunition, you can visit my website at www.dallasreloads.com, and my company is Custom Reloads of Dallas, and email is chad (at) dallasreloads.com .

Thanks, guys!

Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.